question

anderson12345 avatar image
anderson12345 asked jake-baldwin commented

virtual background in RingCentral Meetings

I'd like to make a feature request for the virtual backgrounds capability for RingCentral Meetings. It's been available on Zoom for several versions now.

Thanks!

meetings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered
Hi ANDERSON, 

The virtual background capability is available in RC Meetings! For more information and instructions, check out this KB article.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anderson12345 avatar image
anderson12345 answered
You're absolutely right!  Just needed to enable the feature, thank you!
1 |3000

bellatra-usa-llc avatar image
bellatra-usa-llc answered mary-community-moderator commented
Does anyone know if this virtual background feature was disabled?  I am on the most current version and I do not see the option on the menu as Jessica outlined.
4 comments
1 |3000

patrick-dolan9240 avatar image patrick-dolan9240 commented ·
THE PICTURE USED IN THE VIRTUAL BACKGROUND IS FLIPPED/REVERSED; HOW CAN THAT BE CORRECTED?

1 Like 1 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
This feature is off by default. Account Administrators can enable this feature account-wide and for Users. Account Administrators can go to Meetings > Meetings Settings > In Meeting (Advanced) and enable Virtual background.

If you want to use this feature, make sure this feature is on in your online account before a meeting. In your online account, click Settings > Meetings > toggle switch on the In Meeting (Advanced) section to enable Virtual background.

Once an option is enabled, Hosts and Participants can find the additional Video Background settings in the Meetings for Desktop.
0 Likes 0 ·
bellatra-usa-llc avatar image bellatra-usa-llc commented ·
Thank you.  Got it! :)
-Chris
0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hello Patrick!

The virtual background flips once it is added. If you are going to add a background with words on it, I suggest for you to flip it first by editing the picture before uploading it.

Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
ben-camper avatar image
ben-camper answered
I am not seeing the option to enable virtual background via the Mac RC Meeting application. Is it avail for Macs?

1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered
Hi Ben!

Yes, it is also available on Mac. Make sure that your app is updated. Go to Settings > Virtual Background.

Let me know if you have further questions.
1 |3000

ben-camper avatar image
ben-camper answered
I do not see it in Meetings>Settings>Video (attached).
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered
You are currently on Video Settings. Next to Video settings, you will see Virtual Background. Please check these icons. 

1 |3000

ben-camper avatar image
ben-camper answered susan-bedsaul12117 commented
Hmm, I dont have that....perhaps I need to enable it at Admin level?
8 comments
1 |3000

sandy-lenner avatar image sandy-lenner commented ·
Also,Setting the the green background is frustrating. Please remove that requirement
1 Like 1 ·
Craig Slutzkin avatar image Craig Slutzkin commented ·
Beyond frustrating
1 Like 1 ·
pierre-hulin avatar image pierre-hulin commented ·
Agreed. Why is it that RC requires a solid color background when Zoom doesn't if you're using their technology?
1 Like 1 ·
nejat-abdurahman avatar image nejat-abdurahman commented ·
Agreed. I can use virtual background perfectly fine on zoom without the green screen requirement, but I can't on RingCentra....With majority working from home now, we need this feature for all, and I hope Ringcentral gets to upgrade their technology to remove the green screen requirement, and make it easy for folks to use this feature. 
1 Like 1 ·
susan-bedsaul12117 avatar image susan-bedsaul12117 commented ·
When will the green screen requirement be removed from Ring Central -- having to use green screen makes virtual backgrounds useless for home workers.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
holly-pena avatar image
holly-pena answered mary-community-moderator commented
As Admin, I have turned on Virtual Background in the admin portal and also doublechecked each user where Virtual Background is toggled on.  On my own portal though, I still don't see Virtual Background in order to add one.
3 comments
1 |3000

Hi Holly!

Have you checked on your Meetings App if Virtual Background is already one of the settings?
0 Likes 0 ·
holly-pena avatar image holly-pena commented ·
I think I had more than one App on my laptop, but now I have only one, and I do see the Virtual Background setting. However, in trying to delete what I didn't need, I also deleted the Green Background that I downloaded somehow earlier today.  Now I can't find it.  Where do I find it so that the Virtual Background will work?

0 Likes 0 ·
Try to check on your computer's downloaded files.
0 Likes 0 ·
rique10966 avatar image
rique10966 answered maria-bee commented
Jessica, it's kind of misleading to say that RC Meetings has the same virtual background feature which Zoom has. RC Meetings requires a physical green screen in order to use the feature. Zoom installs a plug-in which disables the requirement so a physical green screen is not needed with Zoom. And if you don't have the green screen with RC, the experience is awful (flashing and strobing - it is worthless). So I respectfully disagree with the statement that RC Meetings has the feature. For most users, it is not practical - and with everyone working from home now, it's actually necessary. At our company, we really hope you escalate the priority of enabling it fully. Thanks.
12 comments
1 |3000

klaus-halbig avatar image klaus-halbig commented ·
I agree with Rique.

And I even would vote not for a virtual background from a picture - but if there would be a way to just blur the background (like Jitsi does it, there is even code for that on  https://gitlab.talview.com/meet/lib-jitsi-meet-v1/commit/fd74ccc526c9859d3566abdde2522035230f77bd) that would be perfect and sufficient. Thanks
1 Like 1 ·
william-cuthbertson512 avatar image william-cuthbertson512 commented ·
It's useless for me as well. Please remove the requirement for having a green screen.
1 Like 1 ·
harry-saal avatar image harry-saal commented ·
Ditto. This is all I need to use Zoom for meetings and not RC. Why can't you get to feature parity with Zoom in the middle of a pandemic????
1 Like 1 ·
SNHU avatar image SNHU commented ·
Zoom also allows video for the background, which RC apparently does not. (unless that's a setting somewhere).

1 Like 1 ·
terry-harris avatar image terry-harris commented ·
Yes, a blur background feature should be a priority in these times. Please make it so. I've already switched to Zoom for this in several meetings, but since our company has 200 people heavily invested in using RC, we need that change here.
1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app