question

jon-rera avatar image
jon-rera asked edward-sclafani commented

RC Softphone on Windows 10 error oxc0000018

So I'm getting an error when trying to run the RC softphone, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018). Click OK to close the application." 90% of the time I try to open the app I get this error. I have replicated it on two separate machines as well, both running Windows 10. Is this a known issue?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jon-rera avatar image
jon-rera answered kimberly-stowe1 commented
Some more info, I downloaded an older version of the RingCentral Phone app, version 10.3.5.34099 and it works fine, the issues appear to be tied to the latest version of the app
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

matt-kimball15996 avatar image matt-kimball15996 commented ·
Hi Jon,

I have several machines that are experiencing this issue and the common denominator with them all is the same anti-virus software.  We are running Sophos Intercept-X, I am curious if you are running Sophos Intercept-X as well.  ---- Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
kimberly-stowe1 avatar image kimberly-stowe1 commented ·
We are also running Sophos Intercept-X. Do you have machines that aren't running Intercept-X that aren't having issues with RC Softphone?
0 Likes 0 ·
front-desk avatar image
front-desk answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just downloaded the newest version of softphone, now it won't open. So I was prompted to update to the newest version of the Ring Central softphone application for my desktop (workstation) and believing it would be better I did so. Now I'm getting Error Code 0xc0000018 "The application was unable to start correctly" and am given only the option to click ok to close the dialog box. This after an hour and half of installing, uninstalling, and troubleshooting the application directly from the Ring Central Support page. Any one else have this problem and if so how did you resolve it?
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered kimberly-stowe16198 commented
Hi all, we are aware of this issue and investigating it. Right now, you will have to downgrade to the prior version. So, do open a case and include JIRA NOC-125474 and support will tag it appropriately and get you the prior version.
2 comments
1 |3000

jamen-tyler16232 avatar image jamen-tyler16232 commented ·
Hi, I'm a new user so apologies if this is a silly question, but how do you open a case with support for this?
0 Likes 0 ·
kimberly-stowe16198 avatar image kimberly-stowe16198 commented ·
When you're logged into your portal ( https://service.ringcentral.com), you can click on Support in the upper right hand corner. You'll have to log in again  (or you can go straight to  https://support.ringcentral.com) and then click on View All Cases, Create New Case. 

We're also new to RC, our migration completes this coming week, and we're very disenchanted by such a major bug. 
0 Likes 0 ·
cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

A few troubleshooting things  you might look at -

1. Making sure all recipients are on the same rev and Build of Windows 10 

You can also press the Windows logo  key + R, type winver in the Open box, and then select OK to find out which version of Windows your device is running.

2. Checking the event logs on the crashing ones
3. Checking your Windows Services logs to see if there are anything in a "stuck" status - or look for any disabled dependencies 

We have deployed the new version 11.0 RingCentral Phone Windows Desktop MSI version now to about 10% of our 2287 users without issue.  

You can also press the Windows logo  key + R, type winver in the Open box, and then select OK to find out which version of Windows your device is running.

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group 
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html
1 |3000

aurlie-knecht16142 avatar image
aurlie-knecht16142 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hi, I tried to un-installed and re-installed the application but it does not work. I cannot received on my PC phone calls or make phone calls. Can you please help? and let me know when the issue will be fixed? Thanks, Aurelie.
3 comments
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Aurelie, 

Have you had support downgrade to the prior version?
0 Likes 0 ·
aurlie-knecht16142 avatar image aurlie-knecht16142 commented ·
Hi, I do not know as the IT team in my company is not really efficient and they asked me to contact me. I am not able to received the phone calls on my PC anymore and when someone call me and I am trying to get it from my smarphone it is not possible to take the call, when I do it it is on the same time on hold... and I cannot call anymore from the app. Can you contact me?
Many thanks, Aurelie.
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Aurlie, you can contact our Support Team whichever way works best for you :)
0 Likes 0 ·
kimberly-stowe16198 avatar image
kimberly-stowe16198 answered
I would like to add my voice to this as well. I contacted technical support and they were able to provide a dll file that appears to have fixed the issue. How does something as major as this get publicly released? My understanding is it's happening with both Windows and Macs so it seems some major step in TESTING was completely missed by RingCentral! We're completing our migration to RingCentral in the coming week and this really makes me question our decision to move to RingCentral. The release of an actual functioning SoftPhone can't come soon enough. 
1 |3000

dave-mayes16311 avatar image
dave-mayes16311 answered edward-sclafani commented
Some of our users are also getting this error when updating to 11.0.1, via the MSI package. Have tried reinstalling the 10.3.5 MSI, but some still cant open it. We are still migrating to RingCentral, so not a show stopper yet.
3 comments
1 |3000

kimberly-stowe16198 avatar image kimberly-stowe16198 commented ·
Contact technical support and get the dll file. After copying the dll file to the installation folder, we have not had any more issues with the RingCentral Phone desktop app.
1 Like 1 ·
edward-sclafani avatar image edward-sclafani commented ·
what is the name of the DLL file

0 Likes 0 ·
edward-sclafani avatar image edward-sclafani commented ·
the name of the DLL is libmpg123.dll.
but replacing the DLL didn't solve my problem
0 Likes 0 ·
cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

Since migrating 10% of our workstations to the updated RingCentral Phone 11.0 msi  (Desktop for Windows) app --- we are now experiencing the Polycom VVX500 deskphone ring anytime someone we monitored via the APP ---- even though in the settings we had them set NOT TO RING me anytime they receive make a call. 

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group 
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app