question

christine-salmon avatar image
christine-salmon asked vahn-moody commented

Phone rings but you can't hear the caller

We have been having a problem the last few weeks. The phone rings. You can see who the caller is but when you answer the call it's dead air. The call is logged. What could be causing this?

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
This is almost undoubtably a network issue of some sort.

Does it happen just for one user or many?  
Desktop phone on computer or hard phone or both?
Has it always happened or started recently?

Do you have any knowledge of your internal network setup?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

christine-salmon answered bjsvec commented
Happens for many users on all of our desktop phones.  This started a couple weeks ago.  Not sure of our network set up but I can find out if you tell me what to ask.
1 comment
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
The reason I asked when it started happening is that it might correlate to some change that was made on your network.  Like a configuration change or software upgrade on your firewall, etc.

I would share this link with whomever works on your network and ask them if any changes had been made around the time you started having the issue.  

The two most common mistakes I see are having ALG enabled and unnecessary inbound port forwarding.  Good luck.

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/9233?language=en_US
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered
Can the caller hear you? If so, youre describing one-way audio. The most common reason for this occurrence is having SIP ALG activated/turned on in your router configuration. SIP ALG is also known as SIP Forwarding. SIP ALG can change/modify and mess with voice (read VoIP) packets. It should be turned off or deactivated. As stated, this is only one reason (although usually the main one). If yours is turned off and you are still experiencing this issue I recommend starting a ticket with RingCentral support.
1 |3000

christine-salmon answered
Not sure if they can hear me or not.  I'll have IT check.
1 |3000

chris-agri avatar image
chris-agri answered vahn-moody commented
IT here. Is this guide still accurate for configuring rules on a Meraki MX64?
https://netstorage.ringcentral.com/guides/meraki_mx64.pdf
3 comments
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
I use Meraki regularly and it looks good to me.  Setting the advertised bandwidth and per client limit are both good ideas.  The traffic shaping rule is not really necessary.  I usually use the default QoS rule.  I would also make sure there are no inbound port forwards related to voip too.  ALG is no available on Meraki so you are good there.

I would also look at the appliance status page and see if you have a public IP on the MX.  If you are using something like Comcast in NAT mode I would change it to bridge mode.  It is almost always better to not have a modem doing NAT (or anything else to your packets) upstream from you.

0 Likes 0 ·
chris-agri avatar image chris-agri commented ·
Great, thank  you. 
0 Likes 0 ·
vahn-moody avatar image vahn-moody commented ·
This is not, ive spoken to RC Engineering/Leadership and they have said repeated DO NOT USE THIS for configuring Meraki SA's.
0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Schubach avatar image
Joe Schubach answered
Is this still an issue with anyone? We receive these calls all day long where nobody is on the other line. We will sometimes wait several minutes to see if the call is being transferred to a call center or something, just to see if it's even a telemarketing call. However nobody ever comes to the line. We've even called several numbers back to find they are not legit numbers.

A while ago we had settings that were not correct and when we couldn't hear anyone on the other line, we would hang up and they would immediately call back. None of these callers call us back so we think it's not a setting. 

They all have caller ID, most of the times it's a city/state with a phone number but oftentimes there is a name and a number. 

I know of the tactic to determine if a number is legit in order to then give the number to telemarketers, but we don't end up getting many telemarketers, so it doesn't make sense.

We are going to try adding a layer where the caller has to press 1 to reach someone. Currently, the calls ring the whole office simultaneously without any layers in between. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app