question

jordan-bliss avatar image
jordan-bliss asked guy-griffin commented

Mac OS app version

Hi, I'm using a Mac with Catalina 10.15 I've download the Mac desktop app v19.10.2 but I get an error message saying "RingCentral cant be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the dev...."Is there a new version in the pipeline or am I missing something?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Christopher Luhn avatar image
Christopher Luhn answered
Same here.  This is extremely disappointing -- not to mention irritating.  RC and other developers have had the tech specs for Catalina for months.  It is inexcusable that RC was not geared up for its launch.  May have to start looking for another service after all these years.  RC:  get on the stick!
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Mike Stecker avatar image
Mike Stecker answered guy-griffin commented
I ran into this today. As a workaround until RC can update the app to prevent this in the future do this:

1. Try and open the app, you'll be presented with the error.
2. Open System Preferences
3. Navigate to "Security and Privacy"
4. On the "General" tab, you'll see a message at the bottom about the app being blocked, click "Open Anyway"

This is what solved it for me. If you get further error messages, there's another trick to remove apps from Apple's quarantine by using the following command in the Terminal. I personally didn't have this issue with RC but I've had to do this sort of command for other apps.

RC Desktop:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Glip.app

RC Phone:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/RingCentral\ for\ Mac.app  

Hope this helps!!
4 comments
1 |3000

jordan-bliss avatar image jordan-bliss commented ·
Worked for me. Thanks!
1 Like 1 ·
guy-griffin avatar image guy-griffin commented ·
worked for me!
1 Like 1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·
Hey, Mike! Thanks for your help!
0 Likes 0 ·
nate-achey avatar image nate-achey commented ·
thanks worked for me as well
0 Likes 0 ·
Christopher Luhn avatar image
Christopher Luhn answered Mike Stecker commented
Sorry, but it didn't work for me.  First, at "General" there is no option to "open anyway" or otherwise.  The app still shuts down every time I try to open it.  My "workaround" is using the web-based site.  Tedious, but it works, in a way.  Still, it's very irritating that RC has not devoted the time, energy and resources to make this desktop app work.  Another flashback to the bad old days when developers treated Mac user customers like an afterthought.
2 comments
1 |3000

conference-room123456 avatar image conference-room123456 commented ·
Same for me... Modifying the UI did not work because within the "General" tab, there is no option to "open anyway".   However, I was successful at using the command line options for the Glip (Desktop app)
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Stecker avatar image Mike Stecker commented ·
If you open System Preferences, go to "Security & Privacy", then look on the "General" tab. Towards the bottom, it will have options for "Allow apps downloaded from:"... make sure this is set to "App Store and identified developers".
After this change is set and saved, try opening the RingCentral application. After you try opening and it possibly being blocked, return here and look for the button that would say "Open Anyway"

Here's a screenshot to look for (stolen screenshot from another website so don't expect it to be exact)

If all else fails, see this link:  https://www.phonetransfer.org/disable-gatekeeper.html

There's a way to disable Gatekeeper completely (link above) but do this at your own risk.
0 Likes 0 ·
conference-room123456 avatar image
conference-room123456 answered
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable to use MacOS version of RingCentral with Catalina (10.15.1). I'm unable to launch the RingCentral Phone application on my MacOS with Catalina (10.15.1).  The MacOS says that it can not verify security and that the App needs to be updated.  Is there a work around for this?

The error message I get says, "RingCentral can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  The software needs to be update. Contact the developer for more information."
1 |3000

customer-service1234567891011121314 avatar image
customer-service1234567891011121314 answered jessica-community-moderator commented
Any updates from RC on when this is going to be updated so it is fixed?
3 comments
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
At this time, we're recommending the above posted workaround be followed to resolve this issue. 
0 Likes 0 ·
ray-bricknell avatar image ray-bricknell commented ·
When will this issue be fixed Jessica? Poor compatibility testing given that reading posts on this thread Catalina seems to have been in beta for 5 months or more?
0 Likes 0 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
I'm not sure when a final fix will be in place. I have relayed the issue to our Product team, and they are aware. When I get additional information, I'll make sure to post it here. 
0 Likes 0 ·
ben-greiner2181 avatar image
ben-greiner2181 answered
This is frustrating and something RingCentral developers could fix. Until then, right-click the app from the Finder and Open (then Open again). You should only have to do this once.
1 |3000

toni-manchester avatar image
toni-manchester answered
I agree this is annoying. I shouldn't have to quarantine the Ring Central App on Mac OS. They take the time to get the app cleared by the Apple iOS App Store but cannot be bothered to get it compatible with the MAC OS App Store. Hope 2020 will get a legitimate  MAC OS App. It's not as if Mac Users still exist and 10.15 has been out for many months now.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app