question

gary-sparks avatar image
gary-sparks asked michelle-madsen answered

Edit Profile to Include Name of Outside SMS text message recipient/sender

I've just started using the RC Desktop app (Mac OSX), and I like the convenience of exchanging SMS text messages with my clients (who are not RC customers).

What I can't figure out is how to edit the profile of the telephone number with which I am exchanging SMS messages to include my client's name. It's difficult to scan the list of messages/conversations and have to identify my clients purely by their phone number.

I don't want to "invite" my clients to RingCentral. What other solution is there? There's got to be something simple that I am just overlooking.

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

david-laake avatar image
david-laake answered
If you check out the Mobile application you can edit the contact there. It does not seem to update the desktop application. If the texted phone number can be tied to a contact name on the mobile, it would be good if that was a two way connection and the desktop app would be able to see it as well.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

richard-mcclure avatar image
richard-mcclure answered
NOT displaying the users' name with the text number or NOT being able to edit the profile details in the desktop has kept me from using ring central as my main collaboration tool. Really like most of the features and the video chat but that's a big issue. Contacts should sync across platforms. Not just on the mobile. Wish they would get that fixed. Have 5 phone lines with them but am considering dropping them and using another voip service.
1 |3000

michelle-madsen avatar image
michelle-madsen answered
I also would love to see contacts being easily edited in the desktop app, especially now with many of us working from home. Thank you!
1 |3000

jeff-dollard avatar image
jeff-dollard answered
+1 for this - Kinda crazy that this functionality doesn't exist in the desktop app.  Our sales team has to either infer who they're talking to from the SMS conversation history or look up the phone number in salesforce just to understand who the number belongs to.
1 |3000

michelle-madsen avatar image
michelle-madsen answered
Exactly! Please consider fixing this, RingCentral.
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered
David's right, this functionality is in the mobile app right now. Product is working on app and desktop parody for contacts. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app