question

alexander-wade13954 avatar image
alexander-wade13954 asked dave-grasso commented

Ringcentral Video vs Ringcentral Meetings

Starting the past weekend, I kept on seeing ads on Facebook for "Ringcentral Video" and their website has info on it. It appears to be a new and separate product but I haven't heard back from our account rep on how we can begin using it and for more details, namely if this will be completely replacing the zoom version.

I was able to locate from some screenshots the site is https://v.ringcentral.com/ and that let me log in, but I have no access to anything about the product in my admin portal.

meetingsvideo
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered
Hello Alexander,

May I know how did you reach out your account manager? is it through email?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

alexander-wade13954 answered fredrik-eriksson860 commented
Yes, via email. I originally had an unrelated question but then also asked about Ringcentral Video. I know it's probably a very busy time with many new customers, but I hope there is still the same amount of support for existing customers.
3 comments
1 |3000

jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·
Hi Alexander!

Apologies, the RingCentral Video is embedded into our RingCentral App. If you are using the "R" icon app, it is available. 

That is not other services, we established a unified app. The admin portal still be in https://service.ringcentral.com 

Hope this comment will help. :)
0 Likes 0 ·
alexander-wade13954 avatar image alexander-wade13954 commented ·
Thanks, I have tried using it within every other ringcentral app  on both my desktop and mobile device. I can't seem to access it anywhere besides the direct link  https://v.ringcentral.com/ 

I guess I'm more interested to know if the meetings is being replaced entirely and if there is any difference as far as capacity for the new tool.
0 Likes 0 ·
fredrik-eriksson860 avatar image fredrik-eriksson860 commented ·
Jenn: I don't think your information is correct at all. RingCentral Video was not available to us within the RingCentral App until we contacted our rep to make the switch from the legacy RingCentral Meeting to RingCentral Video. This included signing an amended contract. RingCentral Video is now the default handler for video within the RingCentral app.

Alexander: You need to contact your rep for this to happen. One difference is that you can host meetings with up to 100 participants on the Standard plan with RingCentral Video. In Meetings, the limit is 4 unless you pay extra for a Large Meeting License. In terms of look and feel, it's the same as what you see using the link you've already referenced in your comment.
0 Likes 0 ·
david-laake avatar image
david-laake answered
So I followed the link  https://v.ringcentral.com/  thanks for posting. I was able to log in under my username and password. I was able to do a quick video call. Seems very nice with no download needed. That said, is this just an added benefit to my existing account that runs in tandem with the existing capabilities? Or does it change my account in some way? Is it ready to be used by my clients who have RIngCentral? On a new install does something need to be designated to choose which technology is used?

1 |3000

david-laake avatar image
david-laake answered brian-engert4691 commented
I have an update from speaking with an Engineer. The Link above for RingCentral Video RCV allows a RingCentral user to log in and use it. It supposedly is limited to 4 on a call but I have not tested that limit. I have been able to use it alongside my existing RingCentral Meetings. From the SE this can be used in this manner for now. Not sure if there is a change coming at some point. If the RingCentral client wants to convert their RCM to RCV they can do a try be for you buy through the REP. Once permanent, it is a one way conversion. You can't convert back. There might be more luck calling Support as it seems sales has not been versed on the process. Additional RCV capacity is opened up once it is converted to.

1 comment
1 |3000

brian-engert4691 avatar image brian-engert4691 commented ·
I'm on the premium plan and was able to test with 7 with out issue.

there are some limits on number of participants if you want to use your webcam.
https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/Network-Requirements-Bandwidth-Usage-for-RingCentral-Video?language=en_US
NOTE: A user can have max of 4 video sessions at 480p and a max of 16 video sessions at 180p on the screen at one time. This means individual 480p video stream bandwidth x4 and 180p x16.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidduranceau10897 avatar image
davidduranceau10897 answered
My account rep has also totally ignored me and customer support required two calls to get this straight. The new RC Video is being rolled out in stages through Q2. The current zoom based product is still in play. Thats about all I could get out of it. Pretty typical RingCentral, the sales and marketing side of the house is very eager to let everybody know something is available, but then when the rubber hits the road, we have speed bumps. Good luck.
1 |3000

alexander-wade13954 answered
I should have started off here in the community page! Thanks all. 

For anyone else who is using, are you finding issues with the user experience compared to other video platforms?
I've been testing it out with people to see how it goes and people with poor internet connection (myself, sometimes...) have a very poor experience and will often freeze, time out, not being able to share, etc, but then we switch to another platform (hangouts, webex, etc) and their experience is much improved. 
1 |3000

nicole123 avatar image
nicole123 answered brian-engert4691 commented
I'm curious about this "no download" thing.  Because if I send someone the Ringcentral video link to join, it prompts a download.  Yes, I am talking VIDEO, not meetings.  Any insight on this? I'm only interested in using it if it is, in fact, a no-download solution for outside users.
2 comments
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi,

Please reach out to your Account Manager regarding this.

Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
it requires chrome.
0 Likes 0 ·
david-laake avatar image
david-laake answered brian-engert4691 commented
For those who have tested the RingCentral Video compared to the RingCentral Meeting, how have you found the video quality?
1 comment
1 |3000

I've been playing around with it some and the audio quality seems just fine.  webcam sharing works well and is adequate quality (480p per https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/Network-Requirements-Bandwidth-Usage-for-RingCentral-Video...).  Screensharing seems to be chrisp and fairly low latency.

My main complaint is that anyone can start screen sharing at any time despite someone else sharing their screen.  So if the host is sharing anyone can start sharing and it stops who was sharing.
0 Likes 0 ·
b-d avatar image
b-d answered b-d commented
I tried using RingCentral Video (not Meetings) and was disappointed to find NO VIRTUAL BACKGROUND ??  Is this feature not available on this NEW application?  The virtual background is a REQUIREMENT for us due to privacy concerns.  Please advise.
2 comments
1 |3000

adam-kentrop avatar image adam-kentrop commented ·
You'll probably find that virtual backgrounding was a Zoom feature, but I do agree with having some way of masking the background off. Teams does it quite elegantly, where it just blurs everything that isn't the nearest body, which is much more professional in my opinion, than someone having a ridiculous background.
1 Like 1 ·
b-d avatar image b-d commented ·
We have only been using RC since March and, based on experience and the comments of others, I've already noticed RC seems to "take away" something people use with every update.  Their development side REALLY needs to be more in touch with their customer facing side. 
1 Like 1 ·
dave-graham12383 avatar image
dave-graham12383 answered dave-graham12383 commented
If I had to guess, I'd say that RC needs a native solution rather than relying on Zoom. I'm sure it made sense back in the day to license Zoom for RC Meetings, but now that Zoom is competing with RC for telephony services, I can't image that they are excited to continue paying license fees to a competitor. Having their own service also allows them to innovate rather than relying on what a third party provides.

The new RC video service has the same look, feel and behavior of the open-source Jitsi platform, which is based on WebRTC and XMPP.  https://jitsi.org/projects/. I would wager that the Jitsi technology is powering this new service. 

There's a lot to like about RC video, however it does appear to lack some features that you might be used to with RC Meetings (e.g., virtual backgrounds, remote support). Incidentally, Jitsi is starting to experiment with blurred backgrounds. They have the feature labeled as "beta" on their public server, but currently it's a bit rough and doesn't support virtual backgrounds. The writing is on the wall, and it's probably just a matter of time before it becomes a regular feature.

RC does appear to be taking a responsible approach to this transition. They could have replaced RC Meetings with the new service, but they have provided the ability to use either service for the time being:

It looks like I can switch back and forth based on my needs. If I want a simple meeting that anyone can join without requiring a client installation, I can choose RC Video. If I want a full-featured meeting experience, I can still use RC Meetings. 

Now that the Video service has been released, I would imagine that RC will be hard at work implementing the most popular feature requests, and eventually the new service will have feature parity with RC Meetings, which I expect to be completely discontinued before too long. 

I'm really excited about the future of RC Video. It looks good so far!

Dave

2 comments
1 |3000

alexander-wade13954 avatar image alexander-wade13954 commented ·
Hey Dave, thanks for the overall awesome comment! 
Curious, where did your screenshot come  from? I'm not able to find that anywhere in any of the apps nor in admin settings. Love the option of being able to go back and forth between the two. 
0 Likes 0 ·
dave-graham12383 avatar image dave-graham12383 commented ·
I'm using the latest RingCentral app, which was updated yesterday.
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app