News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
What outgoing caller id shows while porting numbers?
Tags: caller id, porting and number transfer
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:07am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
bill-shannon
We are using the RingCentral Standard Canadian.
I'm about to start the porting process for our direct dial numbers and our main company numbers. I've already setup our current system to handle the forwarding, but once I've started porting them I want the RingCentral system to be able to show our current DDI's and company number as the outgoing caller ID instead of using the temporary numbers in RC.

Will I get this as an option once I start porting?
3 Answers
answered on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:34am  
Tom - when you say "automagically", I'm assuming you mean when the porting process is completed? 

Danno - pretty sure it's the same here "north of the 49th parallel".

If so, then it would make more sense to start the porting process and then only setup our current system to forward the calls when it gets closer to the date assigned in the porting process. Correct?

answered on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:23am  
If you are only using the top level Company IVR menu (not using call queues) it doesn't matter.  

If you're using call queues, what I've done is add a new number to the call queue, made that the outgoing caller ID number, and kept it on for a time period of however long it takes to train persons from calling it.  In our case these numbers were exposed to customers and field staff for for over a month and we've kept them permanently.  I've not seen any other options.

TIP:  When setting up the porting process make sure you use the feature to assign temp phone numbers to the ported numbers.  This will automagically swap out the numbers and whatever device/queue that temp number is assigned to; ported number takes the place of the temp number and the temp number is surrendered back to RingCentral.  This work really well and requires no manual intervention to assign the ported number.  If you don't do this, then the ported-in number will be assigned to the top level IVR menu and assigning it to a queue requires a manual step.

answered on Jul 6, 2020 at 10:24am  
Can't show a number that RC doesn't own [yet] - against the law down here in the 48.  So temporary numbers are your only choice.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us