question

kim2709 avatar image
kim2709 asked benjamin-dean answered

Sending Outgoing SMS msgs to Gmail

I need to archive SMS messages in Gmail (we use Google Apps for Work). We receive the notifications via email for incoming messages -- however, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish this for outgoing SMS. Does anyone know how to do this?

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
There are a couple of approaches I can think of to archive outbound SMS messages sent from your RingCentral extension's phone numbers into Gmail. Nearly all of these ideas require development of a custom application using the RingCentral Connect Platform.

1. Application  Subscribes (uses RingCentral PushNotification API resource) to the presence data for your extensions you need to monitor/archive in your RingCentral Account. Filter the events for outbound SMS messages, and capture the messages, and send to Gmail via the Gmail API.

2. Application to create Webhooks which POST to web server and relays to Zapier, where you create a ZAP which sends the Gmail from the Webhook data.

There are of course other ways to solve this problem, but these are the first two that come to mind.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kim2709 avatar image
kim2709 answered
Thank you, Benjamin, for the ideas. I was really hoping not to have to go the custom application (we are a small company, with limited tech dollars). I thought there may be an "off the shelf" tool (aside from Zapier) that other companies use to accomplish this function. If there are any other ways you (or other users) can suggest, I'd be grateful.
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
We currently do not have an "off the shelf" tool for accomplishing this precise goal, so I am afraid that a custom application might be the only path forward at this time. If you are in immediate need of this functionality, you could contact your RingCentral Account Executive and ask them about the RingCentral Development Professional Services.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys