question

frankcris-s2775 avatar image
frankcris-s2775 asked ak answered

Enable Automatic Call Recording on Sandbox

How do we enable 'Automatic Call Recording' on Call Recording Settings on my Sandbox? Or is it already enabled by default? I can see that our real phone system has this setting enabled but unfortunately cannot able to locate this setting on our Sandbox and only saw the 'On-demand Call Recording' settings. We need this setting to be enable so we can create a recording and test out 'Read Call Recording' permission of our app. Thanks!

developer sandbox
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
I do not believe the Automatic Call Recording feature is turned on by default in Sandbox accounts. In fact, this feature may be completely disabled for Sandbox accounts. I am actively asking our Engineering and Platform team, and will update this post with the accurate information as soon as I have a confirmation.

There are actually two ways you can create call recordings for development testing purposes:

1. Enable On-Demand Recordings, and manually create Call Recordings using the Sandbox Account. You will need to configure your RingCentral Softphone set to operate with your RingCentral Sandbox account (see directions here: https://developers.ringcentral.com/library/tutorials/test-account.html). Then make a phone call to/from an authenticated user using the softphone, and from the softphone click the "record" button. 

2. Using RingCentral WebRTC. You will need to follow the directions in the WebRTC JavaScript Client Library to configure your Sandbox account and an application for use with WebRTC ( https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone). Then you can use the demo application included in the RingCentral WebRTC Client Library to make a call to/from the authenticated user's digital line phone number, and use the demo UI to "record" the call.

Make sure to record at least 30 seconds of a call in order to have RingCentral actually save the call recording. Any call recordings less than 30 seconds in length are automatically dropped.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

frankcris-s2775 answered
Thanks Dean for your very detailed answer! I tried using RC Softphone but whenever I made a call to any US numbers, I got Call Status: Cannot Reach, Caller Status: No Answer, Callee Status: In Progress. My current location now is in the Philippines, will the Softphone still works from here?
1 |3000

frankcris-s2775 answered
We tried calling a cellphone number from the Softphone yesterday and the call got connected but when the other line answers, he says 'its like calling myself to call my self' meaning the call was rerouted back to the caller. Can you please tell us why or how this is happening? Thanks!
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
Could you please provide some more information about this last issue please, I do not have enough information to try and recreate the problem.

Is this happening while the soft phone is in "development/sandbox" mode, or while using it in "production" mode?
1 |3000

frankcris-s2775 answered
Yes, this is happening in sandbox. We are creating an app that would get the call recordings. In order for the app to be graduated to production, we need to test it in sandbox. The problem is we could not test it because the sandbox account has no call recording records. We are trying to create one by calling the sandbox account but it is just rerouted back to the caller. So, how do we create a call recording data in sandbox?
1 |3000

ak avatar image
ak answered
Hi Frankcris,

By default, we do not enable Automatic Call Recordings on the Sandbox account. 
Could you please provide your RingCentral App Name and we would enable the feature on your sandbox account. 

1 |3000

admin-account6232 avatar image
admin-account6232 answered
I've been trying to test the call recording functionality for the API using C# as well.  I used the Ctrl+F2 operation to switch to the sandbox mode and attempted to call a number from the sandbox and all I got was a "Cannot Reach" status (see attached).  How can I simulate a call recording on the sandbox account to test the call recording api calls?
1 |3000

ak avatar image
ak answered
Please make sure that either a Direct Number / Digital Line is associated with an extension. Kindly refer to our Developer Article below:

How to Make Sure Ringout Works
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys