question

jason7082 avatar image
jason7082 asked John Wang Deactivated commented

Programmatically dial a number

Hi,

I'm new to the Ring Central developer community - although my company has been using Ring Central for a while now.

We are investigating ways to programmatically dial the telephone number of a new lead from our Ring Central number.

Reviewing the API docs, the best option I can see there is the RingOut service, where-by the from number is one of our Ring Central numbers and the to number is that of the lead. From my understanding the ring-out will call our number and the to number, and connect the 2 once they are answered.

Is this the correct understanding of the service and could it meet our requirements?

Many thanks,

Jason

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brandon-hein avatar image
brandon-hein answered John Wang Deactivated commented
My company recently completed a task similar to this.  We used the RingOut Api functionality to accomplish this goal.  Be mindful of the number of RingOut Requests you will be making per minute.  There's a set number of api hits you can make per minute.  I highly recommend reading up on the documentation around that specific api, so you don't get bogged down having to wait during the throttle period.
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jason7082 avatar image jason7082 commented ·
Thanks Brandon.

I'll dig a bit deeper into the documentation for this API - I just wanted to confirm that this achievable before we spent too much time on this.

Since you've had experience with this before, can you tell me - how is the best way to be able to test this? Currently I only have one sandbox account. Do we need to 2 to be able to test the from and to numbers?

Many thanks,
Jason
0 Likes 0 ·
John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Jason,

You only need 1 sandbox account. You can make calls by either:

0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
Yes the ringout API will work. You can also use the web-phone SDK  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone which allows you to make phone calls directly from your browser.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys