question

Nick Dyson avatar image
Nick Dyson asked Nick Dyson rolled back

How to handle sending text-messages to list of recipients

Good morning!

I need to send one text-message to approximately 500 people.

Can you tell me how I can handle it? Should it be 40 different POST requests per minute, or should I add all 40 in the POST body and make just one request?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Hi Nick,

First of all, please read this document for detailed information about using SMS.

Recently, we introduce the Toll Free SMS feature and it is meant for A2P (Application to Person) SMS. Right now, the sending rate for Toll Free SMS is also 40 messages per minute. But we are going to increase the rate in the near future. We'll also support the High Volume SMS which enhances our Toll-Free SMS capability to send 3 messages / second or 180 messages / minute. This is over a 4x increase of our current rate of 40 messages / minute. You can click here to sign up for early access.

Back to your question, you have to send each message per post request because if you specify multiple recipient in the "to" array, the system will send as a group message.

If you choose to use the Toll Free SMS now, login your account at https://service.ringcentral.com and add a Toll Free number.

Then you can use this app to send SMS messages to multiple recipients.

If you want to implement such an app yourself, you can clone the project from this github repo and change it as you want to.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Nick Dyson avatar image
Nick Dyson answered Nick Dyson rolled back

Good morning!

I've done it as you said. But why do I get 429 errors, when I not out of limit?

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

You received the 429 error response because you exceed the API rate limit. for sending SMS, it is limited at 40 post requests per 60 secs. So just put a delay about 1.2 secs between your post requests.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys