question

keith-w avatar image
keith-w asked keith-w answered

How to play temporary message infront of IVR

How do play a message prior to playing the IVR menu? e.g., we are closed unexpectedly for day, and i want to play a message stating that we are closed today because of ..... then present the standard IVR menu to them. I don't want to have keep recording the IVR menu.

ivr
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

You can use the "Text to Speech" in your IVR menu setting.

Let me know if this helps.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

keith-w avatar image
keith-w answered Phong Vu commented

Thanks, but we prefer to record a human voice prompt. My previous VOIP provider had this basic feature. You could record a message to automatically play before your IVR menu of choices.

I just spoke to support, and RC does NOT provide this feature. Which is crazy to me. They said i have re-record the the primary prompt each time. They should have a feature to be able to play a simple outgoing message without having to re-record the main prompts.

3 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Don't get you now. You wrote "I don't want to have keep recording the IVR menu." so I thought you want to have a dynamic "Text to speech" which I show you.

What do you mean "without having to re-record the main prompts"? Once you specify the text or the audio file, the prompt will play that text or that audio. Why do you have to re-record?

0 Likes 0 ·
keith-w avatar image keith-w Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

maybe i have something setup incorrectly. My call flow is the following:

during open hours the calls bypass the IVR and go straight into a call queue that someone personally answers the call from.

After hours, the call goes to a IVR menu. That menu plays a recording "to get our shop hours, press 1, to get our web address press 2, to leave a Voicemail press 3, etc." I want the ability to play a message prior the main IVR menu that says for example "we are temporary closed until XXX please hold for our main menu" then the call automatically goes to the main IVR to present them with the previous options.

According to RC support, I need to re-record that menu of option to say " we are temporary closed ..... press 1, to get our web address press 2, to leave a Voicemail press 3, etc."

I want to leave the IVR menu alone and just insert a "announcement" prior to it. Does that make sense?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ keith-w commented ·

I got what you want now. Why don't you just record all in one audio file and play the message whenever the call is forwarded to the IVR menu.

So your IVR message will be something like this:

"We are temporary closed until tomorrow 9 A.M please hold for our main menu. To get our shop hours, press 1, to get our web address press 2, to leave a Voicemail press 3"

I was also looking for some workaround solutions but it seems not doable with extra extension or extra queue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Patti Woodward avatar image
Patti Woodward answered

Hello Keith.

I am new to RC and just setting up our phone system. I do not know if your question was answered to your satisfaction but on occasion we want to be play a message before the our Main IVR kicks in without having to re-record our Main IVR so what I did was create an "Announcement IVR" that has just one key press option which I set to go to our Main IVR. (I do not see a way to automatically go from the message the Main IVR.)

I then recorded a message like "Our offices are temporarily closed. To continue press 1; otherwise please call back." I then point our main number to this "Announcement IVR". When we re-open I just point the main number back to our Main IVR.

Yes, it would great to be able to insert recording before the an IVR plays, but since that is not a feature, this option works for us.

1 |3000

keith-w avatar image
keith-w answered

Thanks Patti, yes, that is what we ended up having to do. But it is very clucky and not user friendly. It would be nice to be able to "daisy chain" individual messages together before requiring varies key presses. My old VOIP provider had that ability and it was very powerful when we needed to change and/or insert temporary messages into the flow before the IVR.

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys