question

Kayla Fitzgerald avatar image
Kayla Fitzgerald asked Phong Vu commented

Is there a way to have a team text message number that the team can use to send and receive messages?

We have a team of 5 employees and would like to be able to send and receive texts from a single number, but that everyone will have access to receive/respond to texts. Is there a way to do this? Possibly a messaging API?

Currently, we text using our individual work numbers, but if someone gets a response while they're busy or have left for the day, no one else would see it, and often it's time sensitive. We know there's a way to set up every employee to receive an email for inbound texts, but that doesn't solve our issue. Anyone have some insight?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

You can create a new extension and assign a phone number to that extension. Then you can implement a server app which uses password flow authentication. The app will be responsible for sending and receiving SMS messages. Now, you can implement your login methods to allow those 5 employees to use that SMS app. Think about putting your fax machine in a room and give access to those employees who can use the fax machine.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

andrew-legrand1630 avatar image
andrew-legrand1630 answered

Did you figure this out? I'm looking for a similar feature.

1 |3000

Sarah Moffett avatar image
Sarah Moffett answered Phong Vu commented

I have the same question and the answer above seems very confusing. Can anyone help?

3 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Are you a developer? What part is confusing and can you make your own questions?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Moffett avatar image Sarah Moffett Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

No, I own a homecare agency and do not totally understand "implement server app" and "flow authentication". Does this mean that we need a whole seperate app than the Ring Central app? And yes, I can create my own question. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Sarah Moffett commented ·

Yes. One has to implement their own app to share a number to send SMS. The RC app is an app that supports only individual text messaging. Which means that you cannot send a text message from your colleague and vice verse.

And by the way, this is a developer community site and it is for developers with technical/programming questions.

For user type of questions, please use the user community site instead.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys