question

Thomas C. avatar image
Thomas C. asked Thomas C. commented

Phone Rings when shared line call is on hold

When we place a shared line call on hold it will ring on the other phones that can access the shared line. Isn't this the intended way it's supposed to work? Is there a way to change this? We have a user claiming that it was never working that way before and wants it changed, but I've always experienced the above behavior and can't see a setting for this in the system.

phone
7 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·

Hello@Thomas C. apologies, we need to make sure of your settings. It would be best if you created a case here, and our phone support will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Ken Webb avatar image Ken Webb commented ·

Just started having this same problem. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thomas C. avatar image Thomas C. Ken Webb commented ·

I figure out our problem, but it may not be the source of yours as I'm now realizing that i might have worded it wrong. We are using a phone line/extension as a main line that multiple phones can pick up. We had to disable "Enable me to pick up a monitored line on hold " on the phones picking that one up to stop them from ringing when that central line was put on hold.

1 Like 1 ·
jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ Ken Webb commented ·

Hello @Ken Webb, please open a case HERE if you are still experiencing the issue. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anthony Cherry avatar image Anthony Cherry commented ·

I opened a ticket on this a few weeks ago, and Support closed it saying "working as designed". We're new to RC we this simply doesn't sound like reasonable functionality.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thomas C. avatar image Thomas C. Anthony Cherry commented ·

I remember our organization getting the exact same answer back in 2016 when we first deployed it. The "solution" for me on this was to disable the ability for the lines we didn't want ringing to pick up a monitored line on hold. This stopped the ringing and the users said they didn't need the functionality.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anthony Cherry avatar image Anthony Cherry Thomas C. commented ·

But turning off that feature removes the ability to pick up calls on hold on presence lines. That will not do.

1 Like 1 ·

1 Answer

Dollie Self avatar image
Dollie Self answered Thomas C. commented

We have the same issue and are new to RingCentral. Would parking the call work instead of putting the call on hold?

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thomas C. avatar image Thomas C. commented ·

I'm not sure since we don't use parking in our RC system. I just disabled the ability to pick up monitored lines on hold from the other phones they didn't want ringing. This only worked because they didn't need to have those phones picking it up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app