News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Messaging External RingCentral Users
Tags: message
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:39pm   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Eric LeBlanc

We have clients and other contacts that have RingCentral accounts like we do. We would like to have the option to instant message other RingCentral users that are outside of our company. This would allow for even greater and faster collaboration between our company and client contacts who are already on RingCentral within their own organization.

Microsoft Teams currently has this feature and it works well in regards to collaboration.

on Nov 17, 2020 at 6:16pm   •  0 likes
on Nov 17, 2020 at 6:34pm   •  0 likes

Unfortunately not. The team messaging feature in the unified RingCentral application only lets you create team chats with other RingCentral users who are in your organization. I'm looking to be able to chat/team message with RingCentral users who work at companies outside of our immediate organization (in this case, our client who also uses RingCentral).

on Nov 18, 2020 at 7:39am   •  0 likes

Not true. You can add/invite any guest to a team or a chat group. Let me move this thread to the customers support so they can help you better.

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:05am   •  0 likes

Yep! @Phong Vu is right!
@Eric LeBlanc here's an article that will help.
https://support.ringcentral.com/article/add-new-user-ringcentral-app.html

If this doesn't do the trick, please reach out to us and we'll assist further!

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:13am   •  0 likes

@Becky-Community_Manager - Please see the attached screenshot. We cannot add them as a guest because they are already a RingCentral user in their own organization. Because they have a RingCentral account & contract for their VOIP and messaging services, I cannot invite them as a guest or add them to any conversations.

You can reach out to me directly if you'd like to discuss in more detail, but the articles and information you're linking is information I've already gone through before reaching out.

error.png

team-error.png

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:17am   •  0 likes

@Eric LeBlanc Thanks for these screenshots! Yes, I'm digging in with the product team.
Give me a little bit to poke around.

I may be reaching out directly too!
Standby!

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:22am   •  0 likes

Thanks! I'm wondering if it's a configuration setting of some kind. I was able to start a public team and add @Phong Vu to that team. But anytime the client contact is added with the e-mail she uses for RC in their company, I get the same error as shown above.

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:01am   •  0 likes

It won't allow us to add them as a guest because they are already a RingCentral user within their own company. I already discussed this with RingCentral customer support and they mentioned it will need to be a feature request.

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:07am   •  0 likes

Interesting. I have no problem to add my customer/partner who is a RingCentral customer to a team or a chat group. Maybe we can do a quick test to find out. I have never heard of a special config to enable this but maybe I am missing some thing. Can you create a test team (public) and add me phong.vu@ringcentral.com to the team. Or give me your email address so I can add you to my team.

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:17am   •  0 likes

Let me give this a try. This is the most info I've received in the past few days trying to figure out if this is possible.

1 Answer
answered on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:28am  

@Eric LeBlanc The "guest" you are trying to add might have this toggle turned off.
image-7.png

When this is turned off, an account admin can block their users from being invited to join as a guest of another account.
Note: the toggle isn't something the guest can adjust. They will need their admin to adjust the setting.

Here's a blog post that might be helpful as well.
www.ringcentral.com/us/en/blog/security-updates-for-the-ringcentral-app-give-administrators-more-flexibility-and-control-over-their-teams/

Please let me know if I can help further!

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:31am   •  1 likes

This looks exactly like what I was looking for! Where is this setting in the admin center? I'll touch base with their IT team again today and let them know to check once I know where to go.

Thank you!

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:46am   •  1 likes

I found it in the RingCentral app. I will follow up with the client to check on this.

on Nov 18, 2020 at 8:47am   •  0 likes

Sorry, wasn't able to get right back to you! Glad you got it sorted.
Let us know if you run into any other hurdles!

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us