News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Telephony Session Notifications questions
Tags: rest api
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:54am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
Jordan Fulford

Just a couple of questions on the Telephony Session Notifications.

1. I never receive a Sequence 1 event. I sometimes also get sequence numbers skipped for a call. I've traced the services at the most verbose level to make sure a message wasn't getting dropped and can confirm I never receive the message containing the first Telephony Session Event.. unless the Sequence value is inaccurate or expected to never be "whole".

2. Is there a fool proof, solid way to determine if a call is Inbound to Ring Central or Outbound from Ring Central? Or to determine if the call is internal > internal?

3 Answers
answered on Jan 16, 2020 at 1:56pm  

Hello @Jordon,

For #1: Each end user has the ability to turn on or off the auto log call feature through the app settings. Are you looking for an admin level setting to prevent any end user to turn off their auto-log feature?

#2: We do have a default entity which is the "description" field in the call record that we push the call information as shown below.

answered on Jan 16, 2020 at 10:46am  

Thanks for the clarification on the Sequence number.

We have DynamicsCRM and are testing the RingCentral integration. We have a business need to make sure that notes are made for each and every phone call and added to the Contact record of the CRM. The problems that we've identified with the RingCentral integration.

1. The applet doesn't seem to have configurable permissions to prevent the end-user from turning off auto logging of calls.
  2. The applet doesn't have a "default" entity selection for saving the phone call information at the end of a call. And if the user doesn't pick an entity, the record doesn't get saved.

In order to work around this, we've decided to utilize RingCentral's notifications system for call info. I need to be able to accurately and reliably identify the direction of the call as well as the parties on the call. My current thought was to use RingMe vs RingOut but I havent tested if an inbound phone call registers as a RingMe or just a Call.

answered on Jan 15, 2020 at 4:21pm  

Good questions and this is complicated. It really depends on how you subscribe for notification (at the account level or just for an extension). Also if the caller is from the same account or from a PSTN phone number.

1. As you already noticed that some sequence numbers are missing, it is because there is no extension information (e.g. in case of a caller is a PSTN number), there is an event, but since there is no information , the event is not fired thru notification. You can use the sequence numbers to detect the call progressing order but should not assume the number to be associated with a certain status.

2. There is the "direction" information to determine "Inbound" or "Outbound" call, but you have to use the direction with the "from" and "to" information to determine if it is an "Inbound" call from outside number or not. To determine if the call is internal to internal, you can detect the "accountId" from all the sequences (belong to the same telephony session). If the account ids are the same, it is an internal > internal call.

Let me know what you want to achieve and maybe I can help you with a solution.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us