question

Katie Kunsman avatar image
Katie Kunsman asked Phil Denton answered

2 instances of the Ring Central phone

Every time I get an inbound call on my laptop, I get 2 instances of the Ring Central phone. I only want the one that's attached to Google Chrome to ring. Is there any way to fix this outside of deleting the desktop app?

ringcentral appextension
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered Anirban edited

If you have both RC desktop app and Chrome extension app installed in your system, it is obvious that they will collide when a calls comes in. Can I get to know what is the idea behind using a desktop app if you don't want it to ring?

The plugin for Chrome is pretty basic feature where as Desktop phone is developed phone .

As a solution of your problem, it is mentioned here: "To avoid the double ringing, which could be part of the thing causing the call issues with the Chrome app, either have the Users uninstall the Chrome app or don't log into it if you are going to use the softphone. "

ref: https://community.ringcentral.com/questions/21793/chrome-extension-vs-desktop-app.html

In your case I will say you can log out of your Softphone app

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Katie Kunsman avatar image
Katie Kunsman answered Anirban commented

I pull all of my reports out of the browser-based app, but I thought I was missing some features, so I installed the desktop app. I guess I can delete it if it causes no harm.

1 comment
1 |3000

Anirban avatar image Anirban commented ·

No issues.. both are independent.. You can remove one

0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Denton avatar image
Phil Denton answered

You can safely delete the desktop app if you'd like.

Personally, I like the old RC Phone app the best for making/receiving calls. It seems to have the best interoperability with both Chrome and the Outlook plugin so you can click to dial and have calls come in/out in one predictable place (the RC Phone App).

I know there are other newer desktop apps out now but until I can click to call in Chrome/Outlook and have a call be sent to the new app it's kind of pointless....

Oh, and don't even get me started on the web auth issues!!!

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app