question

Adam Martinez avatar image
Adam Martinez asked Anirban answered

Is there a rate limit on quickly I can make a request after receiving a webhook notification?

I have an app that receives webhook notifications. Depending on the nature of the notification, it then calls the call-sync or message-sync. However, if I make that request too quickly after receiving the notification I get a "request rate exceeded" message.

The request happens during a scheduled event. It checks to see if any users need syncing and then syncs them.

I can control the scheduled event. If I purposely make it wait a few seconds after receiving the notification. It works every time. If I allow it to be called immediately after the notification I get the error message every time.

Is this supposed to be working this way? I can't find any documentation about it.

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Read this blog to see how to detect and prevent exceeding the rate limit. Let me know if you need help with other SDKs (or programming languages) than the one highlighted in the blog.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

API rate limit is actually necessary for security purposes protecting the API from external attacks and improving API performance.

If you want to change the existing rate limit of RingCentral API, you can check the rate limit plan and discuss with backend support team to customize it for you.

There are different ways to tackle rate limit of API. One of the way is to implement "Delay" mechanism that hand the API call and wait for given interval of time before making next call.

You can also use the response headers ([‘X-Rate-Limit-Limit’] ) to confirm the current rate limit and monitor the number of requests remaining in the current API call.

Other ways are to reduce the number of API call. Other best practice is use to catch the response of API call with frequently used data.

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys