question

Anna Brock avatar image
Anna Brock asked Phong Vu commented

Quick Start SMS -- SendingFailed

I followed the instructions for the Quick Start App to send SMS in Python. Using the Sandbox credentials, the sms queues, but isn't delivered. I have confirmed that number has the 'SmsSender' feature. I have tried sending an sms to two personal mobile numbers as well as another RingCentral number that I know is able to send/receive sms. The status printed back is 'Queued'; when I check the messageStatus, they all show 'SendingFailed.' I'm not sure what I'm missing! Any help would be appreciated.

After the phone number info, the typical message info is as below:

{
   "type":"SMS",
   "creationTime":"2021-07-01T17:38:30.000Z",
   "readStatus":"Read",
   "priority":"Normal",
   "attachments":[
      {
         "id":9819398004,
         "uri":"https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/299110004/extension/299110004/message-store/9819398004/content/9819398004",
         "type":"Text",
         "contentType":"text/plain"
      }
   ],
   "direction":"Outbound",
   "availability":"Alive",
   "subject":"Test SMS using a RingCentral Developer account - Hallo World.",
   "messageStatus":"SendingFailed",
   "smsSendingAttemptsCount":1,
   "conversationId":3060223407456103798,
   "conversation":{
      "id":"3060223407456103798",
      "uri":"https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/conversation/3060223407456103798"
   }
}
sandbox
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

Can you send a text message from your mobile number to the recipient number to make sure the recipient number is valid. If that works, can you login your sandbox account, add a direct number to your extension, and send a text message from the direct number (instead of the main company number).

Let me know

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Dane Jordan avatar image Dane Jordan commented ·

Hey @Phong Vu, can you please explain in more detail what you mean when you say "Add a direct number to your extension"? I'm getting the same exact error when doing the Quick Start SMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Dane Jordan commented ·

Things changed again, and I am no longer able to help with this.

Please read this post and open a dev support ticket.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anna Brock avatar image
Anna Brock answered Anna Brock commented

Thanks for your reply, @Phong Vu. I added a direct number to the sandbox account extension, and that seems to have done it! Do you happen to know if sending a text from a main company number is also an issue in production environments?

2 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

It should not be a problem at all even for sandbox account. If the main company number is SMS enabled, the assigned extension (via IVR settings) should be able to send text messages from the main company number. I am not sure yet what could be wrong with your main company number/settings. Can you do a quick test now to send text message from that number?

0 Likes 0 ·
Anna Brock avatar image Anna Brock Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Hello @Phong Vu. I just got the chance to test sending from the sandbox main number. It seems to be working now. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys