question

Matt Worsley 'm-h' avatar image
Matt Worsley 'm-h' asked Joe Cache commented

How can I re-assign an extension?

When I delete the extension, it doesn't go back into the 'unassigned' extensions pool, it just removes the extension entirely, and I have to re-purchase a new one. This is in the sandbox environment, if that makes a difference. I want to be able to unassign an extension when a user leaves the company, and have that extension ready for new starters in the 'unassigned extensions' pool.

extension
6 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

I don't think that deleting an extension will set it 'unassigned' nor we have a feature to deassign an assigned extension. I don't know the exact reason behind that but my guess is that it could be the user data. Let me move this to the Customers community so someone can explain better.

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Matt Worsley 'm-h', the unassigned tab is only for the numbers purchased that are not assigned yet to an extension. Workaround to re-use an extension is to edit the details under the "User Details" tab. There is also an option on it to re-send a welcome email.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt Worsley 'm-h' avatar image Matt Worsley 'm-h' mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Mary. That workaround wouldn't be ideal as it would attribute the past employee's data with the new one. Surely this isn't a unique requirement, how do other users deal with employees leaving and joining?

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Matt Worsley 'm-h' commented ·

You're right, Matt. If you need to have an extension with no history, you will need to create a new one. If it's the extension number you're worried about., you can change it to the previously deleted one.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

0 Answers

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app