question

Egor Teplyakov avatar image
Egor Teplyakov asked Egor Teplyakov commented

Different events about call transfer from App and Deskphone

Hi!

I use telephony session events to collecting data about calls.

I noticed that there are two different ways as going call transfer from RingCentral App and Deskphone (Polycom VVX 350 for example).

In next two cases I calling from customer's phone number to Main phone number and enter extension number, then I accept this call o and transfer it to another extension.

First case:

When I call to Extension and pick up call from App, then transfer it to another extension, in telephony session notifications I see that new call started from caller to second extension, then 1st call is over. When 2nd call is over I see notification that inbound call from customer's number to 2nd extension is over.

1650375469826.png

Second case:

When I call to Extension and pickup Call from Deskphone and then transfer it to another extension, in telephony session notifications I see that 1st call on hold, then 1st extension is calling to 2nd extension and creating ext-to-ext call. When 2nd call is over I see only that ext-to-ext call is over and no events about call from customer's number to second extension.

1650375521941.png

In first case I can create from notifications two calls from customer to two different extensions. It's ok.

In second case I can create only 1 call from customer to 1st extension and second call will be just ext-to-ext. But I expect to log 2 calls from customer. Why this difference between Application and Deskphone? How I can resolve this situation with Deskphone?

Full events logs:

Deskphone-transfer.txt

Application-transfer.txt

webhookscall logscall transfer
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Egor Teplyakov commented

Here is how to can detect the original caller phone number after a warm transfer using the telephony session events.

Customer inbound call event

"sessionId": "19845820049",
    "parties":[
      {
        "direction": "Inbound",
        "to": {
          "phoneNumber": "+1325xxxxxxx",
          "name": "Pavel Yurkevich",
          "extensionId": "363256048"
        },
        "from": {
          "phoneNumber": "+1469xxxxxxx",
          "name": "GRAPEVINE    TX"
        },
        "status": {
          "code": "Answered",
          "rcc": false
        },

Warm transferred call event

// Original call's session id
    "parties": [
      {
        "direction": "Inbound",
          "phoneNumber": "+1325xxxxxxx",
          "extensionId": "363256048"
        },
        // Original caller phone number
          "phoneNumber": "+1469xxxxxxx",
          "name": "GRAPEVINE    TX"
        },
          "code": "Gone",
          "reason": "AttendedTransfer",
          "peerId": {
            // Warm transferred call's session Id
            "sessionId": "19845849049",
          },
        },

Customer and new agent call event

// Warm transferred session id
    "parties": [
      {
        "direction": "Outbound",
          "phoneNumber": "704",
          "name": "Egor Teplyakov",
          "extensionId": "215743048"
        },
        // Replace the "from.phoneNumber" of the original call as you wish
          "phoneNumber": "+13258993376",
          "extensionId": "363256048",
          "deviceId": "338329048"
        },
            // Original call's session id
          },
        },

So the logic you should build is to detect an "Inbound" call (original call) with the status == "Gone", parse the reason and the peerId to get the session Id of the warm transferred call. Then detect an "Outbound" call with the status == "Gone", parse the reason and the peerId to get the session Id of the original call. Copy the "from.phoneNumber" of the original call and replace the "from.phoneNumber" of the warm transferred call as you wish.

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Egor Teplyakov avatar image Egor Teplyakov commented ·

Thank you, it's works!

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Egor Teplyakov commented

Based on your full event logs, the first case and second case are not the same type of call transfer.

It looks like the first case was a blind transfer and the second case was a warm transfer.

For a blind transfer, the first call will get disconnected and the same call session is remained for the second call and the first call is disconnected with the reason below

"code": "Disconnected",
          "reason": "BlindTransfer",
        },

For a warm transfer, the first call will be on hold while the agent is making a call to the second agent (extension) and this will have a new call session (different session id). When the call is finally "warm" transferred, the first call will be gone with the reason below

"sequence": 11,
            "telephonySessionId": "s-a78854117eec0z1804111e726zd9ee980000",
            "partyId": "p-a78854117eec0z1804111e726zd9ee980000-1"
          },
        },

Since I don't have a desk phone to check, can you double check if there is an option to perform a blind transfer from your desk phone and make a blind transfer instead of a warm transfer so we can verify if there are differences between RC app and a desk phone in this scenario. If there is no option for blind transfer (weird if it does not support) from your desk phone, you can make a warm transfer in the RC app so we can compare the result.

1 comment
1 |3000

Egor Teplyakov avatar image Egor Teplyakov commented ·

Yes, you are right. First case is blind transfer, second one is the warm transfer. On deskphone it working similar to first case when it is blind transfer.

There is the problem in warm transfer. In this case events haven't number of original caller, only two extensions in party. Can you please advise the right way how I need to find out the original phone number of the caller when warm transfer is completed?

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys