question

Raychelle Wheeler avatar image
Raychelle Wheeler asked Raychelle Wheeler commented

Using desktop phone and call forwarding in Europe

I am spending 4 weeks in the UK and will be working remotely while I'm there. Am I able to take my Ring Central desktop phone with me and plug it into my wifi, and use it through my computer? Will this allow phone calls to come in from the US and allow me to call the US as if i was still in the States, or will there be extra charges associated? On that same note, if this is something I can do, would I be able to still use the call forwarding feature to send phone calls to my mobile phone while in the UK? I am trying to avoid any extra charges and I can't find detailed information about a situation like this.

international
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Heather Thurman avatar image Heather Thurman commented ·

Hi @Raychelle Wheeler, I am about to be traveling and doing the same thing. Is everything with your ring central number working correctly so far? I have it on my laptop and phone and hoping to use my number as usual while I'm over there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Raychelle Wheeler avatar image Raychelle Wheeler Heather Thurman commented ·

Hi Heather,

It worked perfectly while I was traveling! I wasn't able to call forward to my mobile since I wasn't using that number, but I didn't really need that feature so I didn't mess around with it.

I took a long Ethernet cable with me, because you have to plug the desktop phone directly into the Wifi router, but that's all I had to do! I already had the app installed on my laptop, and as long as my laptop was connected to the same wifi, it worked perfectly. I would keep your ethernet cable at 50-100 feet at the longest, shorter if possible. The longer the cable the fainter the connection. But otherwise it was extremely easy to setup!

0 Likes 0 ·
Heather Thurman avatar image Heather Thurman Raychelle Wheeler commented ·

Hi Raychelle,

Thank you so much for your response! I hadn't thought about bringing an ethernet cable, I will be staying in an Airbandb and know they have stable wifi, but unsure if I have access to the actual router. Do you know if I'll be able to connect to wifi as normal if I have the app on my laptop?

Thank you in advance.

-1 Like -1 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered

Yes, as long as you have the app and are logged in. There will be no additional charges.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app