How to provision a Mitel 480G/485G with Shoretel firmware (v802/803) to ringcentral
These phones are now supported on RC with autoprovision phone per (https://support.ringcentral.com/article/certified-supported-deskphones-ringcentral.html#mitel). However, the instructions given by the RC admin portal wizard and also on https://support.ringcentral.com/article/assisted-provisioning-mitel-deskphones.html will not work if your phones are on older shoretel firmware. I spoke with Mitel SIP phone support and here are the steps that worked. Sharing for anyone who is trying to convert these phones to RC.
- Make sure the phone is added as a device in the RC admin portal using the mac address and selecting the correct model - see steps 1-7 only on https://support.ringcentral.com/article/assisted-provisioning-mitel-deskphones.html if you aren't familiar with adding devices to RC admin.
- Factory reset your 480G/485G by pressing Mute then 25327# while on the idle screen. It will pop up asking if you're sure you want to clear the configuration. Press Clear softkey.
- The phone will reboot.
- When back to the idle screen, press Mute then 73887# to access settings
- Navigate to Services > Config server
- Clear any existing provisioning/config servers and put in this IP address: 22.214.171.124 This is a conversion server that Mitel SIP phone support team gave me which hosts the ringcentral firmware for these phones.
- Press save and back out of settings until you see an Apply softkey on the bottom of the display at the main settings menu. Press Apply.
- The hone will reboot. Allow it to reboot fully, it may do so a few times.
- Eventually you will see a message in the top left of the phone that says "Dial 400 to switch to RC", and extension number 1000 in the top right.
- Lift handset or use speakerphone to dial 400 and press DIAL/CALL.
- The phone will say call failed and give a busy signal, but it will also say "Upgrading" in top left corner. Do not press anything or power down while it downloads the firmware. This will take several minutes (~10+ min) and reboot numerous times.
- After the 1st or 2nd reboot, you'll notice your phones switch from showing the Shoretel logo during boot to the Mitel logo on a dark blue background. This is how you know you're on track.
- Once it's done with the 3rd or 4th reboot, the phone will come up provisioned!