News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Shared Fax Line
Tags: fax
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:39pm   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Sebastian Knoop-Troullier

We have setup a dedicated HR Fax line to receive inbound faxes using its own number.

Is there a way that HR employees can send out faxes using the "HR Fax" line as the outbound number? We are trying to avoid confusion when sending outbound faxes, as they show up as the individual user's fax number at the moment.

Also, if the above is not possible, are there any other recommendations on how to accomplish something similar?

on Mar 1, 2023 at 8:02am   •  0 likes

Hi! If the HR Fax is a user extension, it is not allowed to make it an outbound number by other users. I can't think of any work-around to accomplish this, but we'll try to hear from other members.

on Sep 22, 2023 at 11:46am   •  0 likes

Hi, so I have a similar issue with our Legal team using a shared Fax number and it was originally setup as a Message only Extension which seems ok for inbound Fax and using the notifications to send an email to specific people or a shared mailbox, but its sending a Fax where they cannot use that number. So talking to support they suggested using a Queue to have the Fax number work both inbound and outbound but I also see other issues posted from other users in the community stating the Queue if its active it makes the users phone ring so the queue has to be disabled. So what are your thoughts on that design, will it work for in and out Faxing with the shared number and how about the disableing the queue to stop ringing?

on Sep 25, 2023 at 9:32am   •  0 likes

In my testing if I set the Line to Fax only in the Number Type it was not available in the list to use for sending, I have to leave it on Voice and Fax. This was using the Auto Receptionist Custom Rule to send a call to a direct number which then sends it to a Message Only extension where that extension did not have the phone number assigned to it. When we assign a number directly to a Message Only extension it is not available to send from at all regardless of the Number Type.

Going back and changing the Phone System... Phone Numbers... All Numbers.. Selecting the number we want to use as a secondary Fax and changing the Number Type to Fax only today and it does keep it in the list to be used not sure why it was not working this way at first. I know if you change Calls to this number will be connected to: Extension that is when it disappears from the list of Company Numbers when you send a fax so leaving this on Auto-Receptionist and then building the custom rule under the Auto-Receptionist seems to make this all work as I am wanting.

Also just found out that the RingCentral Desktop client does not seem to pick up these changes well so completely exit the app or use the Help... Troubleshooting... Reset App data also seems to work to get it to synchronize the changes.

on Sep 23, 2023 at 5:25am   •  0 likes

hi @Brian Park
maybe change the Number type of the Fax number from Voice and Fax, to Fax only? Might help for the call queue. In any case I wouldn't be using a call queue at all

do this instead:
1. Assign Company Fax number to Auto Receptionist:
Phone System > Phone numbers > All Numbers > click on the Company Fax number > select Company fax recipient

2. Check who the Company fax recipient is. Probably use somebody from the legal team.
Phone System > Auto-Receptionist > General Settings > Call Handling > Settings > Fax/SMS Recipient > selecting somebody from legal team makes most sense, for example legaluser1

Assigning the fax number in this way will allow it to be used as an outbound Fax number by everybody

3. Now you want to make sure everybody from Legal receives the fax when the fax recipient is only legaluser1.
Users > click on legaluser1 > Notifications > Messaging Notifications > Advanced Settings.

Customize Notifications for Received Faxes > Include attachment with email
and
Customize Notifications for Received Faxes > add the email addresses of everybody else from legal, in the Send notifications to field

4. Check the outbound Fax settings for everybody in your legal team.
Click on each of them and check > outbound calls/Faxes > Fax Settings
and also check
outbound calls/Faxes > Caller ID > Fax number (just in case although I believe Fax Settings is the important bit)

on Sep 26, 2023 at 6:22am   •  1 likes

Hi, thanks for your reply but we have multiple company fax numbers so making Legal our primary will not work. So, Ring Central setup Message Only extensions to handle our additional fax numbers but how they did it does not allow us to use them for outbound. So, what I found that does allow them to be used for outbound is to remove the number assigned to the message only extension and create a custom rule on the Auto Receptionist that sends the direct number to the message only extension and using the notification to deliver the message as an email to the group of staff works just fine.

Also, changing the Number Type to Fax only will stop a phone call from coming in so you don't have to worry about a wrong number random voicemail.

on Sep 27, 2023 at 11:48am   •  0 likes

Nice, Sounds like you solved it. Is it all good? :D or should we try to help some more

1 Answer
answered on Mar 2, 2023 at 7:47am  

You would park the number on the auto receptionist, make a custom rule under "general settings" that points to the shared fax seat.

After that, you can change the outbound # in the user profile for the faxes to the number you parked on the auto receptionist. Any number (with exceptions, I'll assume your setup is fairly straightforward) that is on the AR can be used for outgoing caller ID for the users.

I do this all the time for my clients. This allows them to show the fax number from their personal extension, and when a fax is sent inbound it will look to the rule and still send to the correct extension that should receive the faxes

on Mar 2, 2023 at 9:11am   •  0 likes

Great suggestion @tak-it1. Thank you!

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us