question

Michael R avatar image
Michael R asked Phong Vu commented

When Applying for Production, what is the difference between App Name and Display Name?

When I started the form Apply for Production, I found a field named "Display Name".

Q) What is the difference between App Name and Display Name?

I don't expect this app to be public at all. And I have a concern, that if I chose choose a poor name, I won't be able to change it.

I'd like to choose the same name as I did for the App Name.

1681343081639.png

rest apiapp
1681343081639.png (382.5 KiB)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

The app name is an internal name of your app that you can see from your app list in the developer console. The display name, as you can read the description under the field, it is your app public name. Your user will see that name in the authorization popup when they login your app.

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Michael R avatar image Michael R commented ·

Thanks Phong, I have followup questions:

Q1) How and where will users see the Display Name?

Q2) Which and whose users will see the Display Name?

Q3) Perhaps the gap in understanding is when you wrote, "the authorization popup when they login your app". Can you show a screenshot? Thanks!

Context: My company does not wish to NOT promote this app in the RingCentral App Gallery. Thus I don't understand who would possibly see this Display Name.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Michael R commented ·

It is a generic requirement and it's more meaningful for public app and code flow authentication. If your app is a private app and Server-Only app then you can basically don't need to change it but use the same internal app name. Here is an example of an app display name "Voicemail Assistant" while the internal name can be different such as just "voicemail app"

screen-shot-2023-04-18-at-32400-pm.png

1 Like 1 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys