question

Beverly Williams avatar image
Beverly Williams asked Welcome commented

Ported in FAX number cannot be selected as "Company Fax"

I just spent some time on the phone with support but he was as puzzled as I am. The ported in fax number does show up in Inventory but will not show up when I am trying to select the Company Fax number. We have used that number for 20+ years and some customers still fax orders.

porting and number transfer
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Welcome avatar image
Welcome answered

that's weird. When you go to Phone System > Phone numbers > All numbers > Company Fax: Add
you should see the following (pic in attachments)
1696382554762.png

1696382554762.png (48.6 KiB)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Beverly Williams avatar image
Beverly Williams answered Welcome commented

I see that but here are some screen shots that explain more completely.

The only way I could do it was to assign that phone number to our receptionist. Before that, it was listed in the number inventory as available and unassigned. When I tried to add it as the Company FAX, it only showed the 926-1987 number.693-2350 does not show up.pngassigned to receptionist.jpg

2 comments
1 |3000

Welcome avatar image Welcome commented ·

@Beverly Williams
I find it weird that you only see one of the 919 numbers to select for Company Fax when you have 3 of them in the inventory. (see highlighted in yellow).
here are 2 things you can try.

1. Move 693-2350 to inventory. Then add 693-2350 to Company Fax (see same picture - red arrows)

If this doesn't work for some reason here is option 2.

2. assign 926-1987 as Company Fax (or you can use any random USA number). Then ask the Customer Support team to swap the 926-1987 and the 693-2350 from the backend (not from the admin portal)

capture.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
capture.jpg (55.8 KiB)
Welcome avatar image Welcome Welcome commented ·

By the way, it might not be necessary for the Fax number to be assigned as Company Fax in the admin portal. It all depends on who you want to use that number... and is it supposed to be used by multiple people? or by specific people only? Is it used only for receiving faxes or both for receiving and sending?

Tbh I believe you can make work whatever you want in multiple ways
- by having the fax number assigned either to 1 user ext. as you already have done
- by assigning it to the Auto Receptionist
- by assigning it as Company Fax.

So if all else fails, you can just say how you want the fax number to function and we can think of ways to set it up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app