question

Dakarai Breveard avatar image
Dakarai Breveard asked Joe Cache commented

Transitioning to Ring Central

I have a customer that will be moving to Ring Central from another provider. Typically when moving from one provider to another, I would follow the steps below.

1. Submit the port request to the new provider.

2. Forward the calls from the previous provider's service to the new service.

3. Set the new system up so that the outbound caller ID spoofs the previous number.

This allowed the customer to place outbound calls using the phone number that their clients would recognize. I can't seem to do that with Ring Central. If a number is registered as a Substitute Caller ID, it can't be ported. If it's not registered as a Substitute Caller ID, it can't be used as the Outbound caller ID.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

caller idporting and number transfer
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache commented ·

I would also look at how they will want their IVR - best to set up as Multi level, as changing later from Single to Multi will wipe out all the settings. Learned that the hard way.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Welcome avatar image
Welcome answered Welcome commented

it's possible to do the following:
- have a number registered as Substitute Caller ID
- use it as outbound caller ID
- submit a porting request
- on the day of the porting you need to delete the substitute caller ID from the admin portal
- this allows adding the number to the portal as an actual number and not just a substitute Caller ID, (if you don't delete the substitute caller ID, you would have a duplicate, which is not allowed)

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Dakarai Breveard avatar image Dakarai Breveard commented ·

Unfortunately, I tried to port the number while it was still being used as a Substitute Caller ID and I was met with an error message saying that the number was already registered in the system.

1 Like 1 ·
Welcome avatar image Welcome Dakarai Breveard commented ·

I might have gotten the order of operations wrong. Instead try to first submit the porting request and then to add the Substitute caller ID.

If this doesn't work, the number porting department might be able to help??

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app