Solved

Refresh token expired with JWT Auth

• 31 October 2023
  • 3 replies

• Participating Frequently
  • 5 replies

Hello, I'd like to start by apologizing if this is duplicate - I looked through several other related questions that did not exactly answer what I'm looking for.

My app uses JWT Auth Flow to login and make calls using RingOut, and I have "Issue refresh tokens?" set to "Yes" in my app settings. In my implementation, I start-up a long-running daemon thread, and on initialization I login to my platform using the JWT token I created for my client ID. I saw post requests and calls being issued as expected when first starting the thread. I expected that my initial login would never expire, and I would continue to be able to make these post requests for as long as I like without re-authenticating.

Recently, I saw a "Refresh token has expired" error when the thread attempted to make a post request. Is this expected? I thought with "Issue refresh tokens" enabled, I could extend a session without needing a refresh token. Another note on my end - I logged in with the same credentials (client ID/secret, server URL, and JWT auth token) from a separate instance. Could this have caused this error?

I am curious if this error is expected, and if so, how can I alter my implementation such that no refresh token is required? Thank you very much in advance for any help.

icon

Best answer by Phong1426275020 31 October 2023, 23:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1

I don't know the logic you implement in your app to handle tokens so I cannot say much about the root cause.

But you can rely on the value of the "refresh_token_expires_in" to decide if you can use the refresh token or not. And remember that every time you refresh the access token using the refresh token, you will get a new refresh token and new expiration time too.

For the case that you login the same app with the same JWT from a separate instance, you can login max 5 instances. This means that for each user of your app, you can have max 5 tokens concurrently. If the same user login the 6th time, the first token will be revoked.

Thank you for the response. I did not have more than 5 instances (only 2) so that does not appear to be the root cause.

I am still confused on JWT Auth Flow though. Is there a way such that when I login using my JWT token, I never have to re-authenticate and the session will run forever? That was the behavior I was expecting

The reason I expected this behavior is based on this page https://developers.ringcentral.com/guide/authentication/jwt-flow which says that "Credentials do not expire (unless you elect otherwise)". It seems I may have misinterpreted this though?