question

James Phelan avatar image
James Phelan asked Phong Vu answered

Best practice for retrieving call transcriptions

I can't seem to find an API that would provide a transcription of a recorded call. Am I correct that this is not supported?

If so it seems my best option would be to use the text transcription feature of the AI beta. I'd be taking the call recording file, re-uploading it to RC, and then retrieving the transcript. This seems a bit convoluted to I wanted to confirm this is a reasonable approach.

Thanks in advance!

call recording
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

That's right. Unfortunately, voice call recordings are not automatically transcribed.

You can implement your own app which subscribes for telephony event notifications to detect when a call is recorded, then after the call is disconnected, call the call log to get the call recording url and pass it to the speech-to-text API along with a valid access token to get the transcript.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys