question

john-oliphant avatar image
john-oliphant asked Eric Olsen answered

Trouble Receiving Some Faxes

We use Message-only extensions for receiving faxes and have about 25 of them set up for various departments. Received faxes are then sent to shared email boxes for each department. This generally works well.

I've received a couple complaints this week about faxes being partially received. A look at the call log shows that most of our fax extensions have plenty of errors and partials. A couple of our busier extensions have none, but those departments mainly receive from big healthcare systems who use e-fax. (RC blocking some of those as robocalls is a different problem)

I've been doing this long enough to know that the most likely explanation is the sender but the fact that I have so many errors in the logs over the last 60 days leads me to wonder if anyone else using RC to receive faxes has noticed an uptick.

To be fair, I don't have any history to compare this to, so maybe it's always been like this. Or maybe the senders phone lines are crap lately? The RC admin portal provides no deeper insight about the calls so I don't know what to tell the departments.

And of course we'd love to see the fax die forever, but it's approved for HIPAA and CJIS so we're stuck with it for a while.

fax
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache commented ·

Amen Brother! (moving away from faxes)

We do about 40k pages a month... 17 fax lines - and no issues for quite some time. We did just revamp how the faxes are done, as the initial setup was to give each line it's own MVP... [bzzzzt!]

Found out that was the wrong way (Thanks onboarding RC staff!!! /sarcasm)

We now have it one main line for each - and all the others that used to just foward are in a Custom Rule on the IVR to just forward to that one MVP. Saves quite a bit of $$$.

We also use CodeTwo for Exchange - great little bit - sits on our exchange server and intecepts the incoming fax, strips off the attachements and save them to a network drive - then sends the tiny 2k email to the group saying you have a fax in the XXXX folder.

Saves a ton of email storage.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Eric Olsen avatar image
Eric Olsen answered

It may have to do with the T.38 protocol (https://support.ringcentral.com/article-v2/Partially-Received-Faxes-RingCentral.html?brand=RC_US&product=RingEX&language=en_US#:~:text=Several%20VoIP%20companies%2C%20including%20RingCentral,end%2Dto%2Dend%20basis.)

This article discusses the partially received faxes as among the limitations when implementing a Fax-over-IP service as well as the steps to help RingCentral Support isolate where the issue is coming from.

Receiving partial faxes such as incomplete pages or pages are cut off is among the known limitations when implemented as a Fax-over-IP service. These limitations are technology-based and industry-wide. Several VoIP companies, including RingCentral, use the T.38 standard for sending faxes over the Internet. Although the standard promises better reliability, that standard is still open to interpretation by various providers and cannot be maintained on an end-to-end basis."
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app