Question

Why opening browser starting today??

• 23 March 2024
  • 10 replies

I saw someone else post this and no idea why the post was deleted???

Starting today everytime I get an inbound call on the app ring central opens a browser and tries to goto goole.com why?????

10 replies

Enabling the launching of external apps or URLs for incoming calls
  • In the RingCentral desktop or web app, click. Settings. ...
  • Go to. Phone > General. ...
  • Next to Launch an external app or website for incoming calls, slide the toggle to enable. The. ...
  • Click the. Launch an external app or website when. ...
  • Enter a URL in the. ...

I found out why its happening, but I have no idea why this is automatically been turned on ???? this should never been force enabled

Any comment from RC on this? Happening for our users too and we have that setting disabled.

It's happening to our company as well. Started last Friday for us. Will check the setting from FST and see if that fixes it

We are having this same issue but we cannot find this setting because we are using ring central through teams. Does anyone know a solution for the teams ring central?

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone! Thank you for reporting this issue. I have taken immediate action and reported it for review. Rest assured, I will follow up on this matter and provide you with the necessary feedback as soon as possible. Thank you for your cooperation.

Userlevel 2

Hello Everyone, we apologize for the inconvenience.

During the testing of a Feature Flag Control for a feature developed for a specific customer, the Launch an external app (or website) setting was accidentally enabled for some customers. This setting was enabled for a small set of customers with the URL set to "www.google.com". As a result, for those customers in this small pool who had enabled this setting with a specific URL/application configured, it would've been overwritten with "www.google.com".

How to fix it:

1. For RingCentral app users who do not want this setting enabled:
    1. Go to Jupiter Settings -> Phone -> turn off Launch an external app or website for incoming calls (See Figure 1)
  2. For RingCentral users who had the URL altered:
    1. Go to Jupiter Settings -> Phone -> Manage (for launching an external app or website for incoming calls) and make the change in the “Enter command” field.
  3. For MS Teams users: Please comment here so that I can collect your data, and report it to the appropriate team for resolution.

3 of our users reported the same issues yesterday. RC for teams.

Does anyone else think this is crazy and a huge security risk?

1) Allowing a website to open when a call comes in... and 2) that RingCentral "mistakenly" turned this on for multiple customers? All it takes is one disgruntled employee to turn this on for everyone and point it to a malicious website.

You can go here and vote for them to allow admins to toggle the Launch an external app... at a company level: https://ideas.ringcentral.com/forums/958493-phone-messaging/suggestions/48017498-ability-of-the-admin-to-configure-launch-an-exter

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone! Kindly email us at Community.Support@RingCentral.com if the troubleshooting steps don't resolve your issue, and I'll forward it to our Product Engineers.

Userlevel 2

Hey, Team!
I have connected with the engineering team and they have confirmed that this issue is resolved.
The app should auto-update, but please make sure you and your teams are on the latest version of the app.

If you are still experiencing issues, please create a case with Support, as your issue should be tracked internally for any other broad concerns.

And as always, please reach out here in the Community or via our Community Inbox for support!