question

chantry13647 avatar image
chantry13647 asked american-asset-protection answered

"Press 1 to be connected" option in IVR a viable way to filter out robo callers?

Are robo dialers capable of pressing keys to advance through IVR menus, and if so, do they tend to follow any specific strategy (e.g., spamming #)? Here are two pages I found on the subject:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28715445-How-I-stop-telespammers-dead-with-voip-ms-IVR

https://robocall.devpost.com/submissions/11020-hi-it-s-me-ivr

I tried to set something up like this, but I am running into two problems:

1. My main number does not allow routing to my IVR menu, only to the auto-receptionist. My second and third number can be routed to my IVR menu.
  2. My business partners and I take shifts answering the phone. It would be a pain to go into the IVR menu settings every time I need to change the extension over to someone else. Is there a way I can funnel the IVR into somewhere where the destination extension can be changed very quickly?

Thanks.

ivr
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered jessica-community-moderator commented
Hey CHANTRY,

Do you have a Single or Multi-Level IVR?
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

chantry13647 avatar image chantry13647 commented ·
Well, at the moment, everything just routes directly to me. I only want 1 IVR menu, that allows any number key to be pressed to route the call to my extension. Whichever way is easiest, I have no preference.
0 Likes 0 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi CHANTRY, 

You currently have your main number routed directly to you, and not extension 1001 which is your main menu, which could be causing the difficulties you described in question 1. As far as question 2, do you and your business partners adhere to a specific schedule? If so, you could try using advanced rules to route based on day/time.
0 Likes 0 ·
chantry13647 avatar image chantry13647 commented ·
I don't see an option for extension 1001, just 101 and 102. Our two secondary phone numbers give the option to route to all three extensions.

We do not adhere to any specific schedule.
0 Likes 0 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hey CHANTRY, 

For your situation, it may be easier to contact Support so they can help troubleshoot and look into your account to confirm what the best configuration would be for you to help get this accomplished. I think it'll be a lot of back and forth with only a little progress each comment if we continue on Community. 

0 Likes 0 ·
bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
Yes, some robo dialers may use DTMF tones to navigate an IVR, but I think in most cases they would do that to stay in the IVR and use up toll free minutes for a traffic pumping scam.  See here for more about that particular scam:  http://www.awardconsulting.net/traffic-pumping-case-of-the-phantom-caller/
1 |3000

john-ream avatar image
john-ream answered
Brandon - that's exactly what is happening to us. These robocalls are not selecting an extension and are disconnected at the end of our greeting, however, they are using up 1:44 of our RingCentral credits every time they call. Because of this, RingCentral is charging us ever few days for additional call credits. I'm becoming suspicious that these robocalls are simply a revenue generator for RingCentral.
1 |3000

american-asset-protection avatar image
american-asset-protection answered
This is very frustrating that there is no real solution available. This is additional costs and loss of revenue when real clients are trying to reach you. I'm tired of blocking calls we have over 900 of these calls within the last 2 days. Exploring other service providers if RingCentral does not immediately address this issue. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app