question

david-dumyahn320 avatar image
david-dumyahn320 asked david-dumyahn320 commented

Message notification in gmail issue

We recently changed our email from Office365/Outlook to G Suite/Gmail. The message notifications prior to the switch always contained an attachment in the email in the pdf or mp3 format. The email notifications from RingCentral now arrive without attachments. GMail support can't find an issue preventing the attachments. Is this a known issue?

notifications
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered david-dumyahn320 commented
Are you sure that whomever changed all the email addresses in RingCentral ticked the box for attachments?  
12 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
If you have admin access to your GSuite domain you can look at detailed email logs. It should be very simple to determine if the attachment is getting to the server or not. I would push your GSuite support to look again and provide you a log for a sample email. My bet is that the attachments get there, but a GSuite setting or add on or something in your email client is stripping or ignoring it. Have you viewed the email notification in different clients? Although I could be wrong. I have been before.
1 Like 1 ·
Another thought I just had- do you know first hand nothing changed on the RingCentral side? Have you tried sending an email notification with attachment to some other email accounts? That should determine pretty conclusively if the trouble is from RC or Google.
1 Like 1 ·
I am not super knowledgeable with email servers either, but I think you are on the right path.  I would investigate if DKIM, SPF, DMARC were set up properly on your GSuite.  That would be done from both the GSuite admin console and your DNS provider (sound like GoDaddy).

You might also be able to call Google support and explain this in more detail to get their assistance.
1 Like 1 ·
david-dumyahn320 avatar image david-dumyahn320 commented ·
Thanks...I've set the DKIM, SPF, and (possibly) the DMARC.  Now just waiting for the records to update to see if I've done it right or totally screwed it up and get no email at all.
1 Like 1 ·
david-dumyahn320 avatar image david-dumyahn320 commented ·
Ok, the issue is now resolved! Turns out that the Advanced Settings email notification had been turned off in RingCentral.  I do find this very odd because we rarely log into the system (and had not done so in over 6 months)so there is no chance that it was changed by us. And, it seems very coincidental that this had been turned off on the very day that we switched our email to G Suite.  With the help of Support, we were able to resolve the issue and all is working well now.
1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
lee2 avatar image
lee2 answered
We have been using GSuite from the start with RingCentral and never had any issues with receiving attachments in our notifications. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app