question

ken-adams12 avatar image
ken-adams12 asked mary-community-moderator edited

How to force all incoming calls to be through carrier voice network, and not VOIP

Android cell phone on Verizon Wireless

RingCentral Office Standard Plan

For either the RC Phone app or the Ring Central app (I'm honestly not sure why there are 2 apps?), how can you force all incoming calls to come through the standard carrier voice network, and not utilize VOIP? VOIP can be inconsistent when driving on the road, and Verizon has a strong network for voice. So I would much rather use my carrier's standard voice network/carrier minutes for all incoming and outgoing calls, and totally skip the VOIP option all together.

In the RingCentral app, there is a setting for outbound calls "Use Only Carrier Minutes" which is great. But this only affects outbound calls, not inbound calls.

In RC Phone, when I click to turn off the "Data (VoIP) Calling" setting, incoming calls no longer ring my phone, and I just get a missed call notification.

In my testing, I was able to successfully receive multiple incoming calls via my carrier's standard voice network (I believe using the RingCentral app), though I tweaked some settings and now all incoming calls are coming through as VOIP. So I know it's possible :)

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-community-moderator avatar image
jessica-community-moderator answered
Hi Ken, 

If you want inbound calls to route via the carrier instead of VoIP, you'll need to go to the call handling and forwarding settings in Service Web and add your number there while turning off the "Mobile App" option. The only way inbound calls would ring your carrier number is if that number is added in Service Web. 
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sam-steffl avatar image
sam-steffl answered mary-community-moderator commented
When you make this change though there is no way to distinguish whether a call is coming to your ring central number (business purposes) or your personal number is there?
1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Sam,

You can distinguish calls coming from RIngCentral or directly by turning on Play Announcement or set the incoming caller ID to Called Number.
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app