News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
"rcmobile" URI Scheme Doesn't Work with Mac OS X Desktop App
Tags: error
Oct 24, 2016 at 6:31am   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
nate-smith

Observed Behaviour:

When clicking on a "rcmobile" Ring Out link as documented in the developer portal, the RingCentral app opens, but the number from the link does not get populated in the app, and a call is not placed.

Expected Behaviour:

When clicking the Ring Out link from the example code below, the RingCentral sales number is called.

This have been observed with:

• RingCentral App: 8.2.1.22660 (64-bit), 8.3.4.24012 (64-bit)
  • Browsers: Firefox 49.0.1, Chrome 53.0.2785.116 (64-bit), Safari 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)

This does function as intended on the iPhone using iOS 10.0.3 and RingCentral 8.3.0.

HTML Sample for Testing:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "" target="_blank">http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">;
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>Ring Central Desktop Link</title>
  </head>

<body>
    <h1>Click to Call</h1>
    <div>
      <p>
        <a href="rcmobile://call?number=08000988136">RingCentral Sales Number</a>
      </p>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>  
6 Answers
answered on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:45am  
For some additional info, this appears to work on:
  • OS-X 10.10.5
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 (64-bit)
  • RingCentral 8.3.2.23993
Scenario #1

Using the provided number provided in the original post results in a "Cannot start call: Invalid phone number" error in the softphone for me because it starts with a '0': 
rcmobile://call?number=08000988136
Scenario #2

Using a valid number in the rcmobile URI scheme and a softphone that is logged in, the softphone will be brought to the foreground, the number populated and dialing started.

Scenario #3

Using a valid number in the rcmobile URI scheme and a softphone that hasn't been launched, the softphone will be launched and brought to the foreground, the user will be prompted to login and the number populated. The user still needs to click dial as dialing doesn't start automatically after login.

Summary

Scenario #2 appears to work as expected. In Scenario #1, the number should be updated and in Scenario #3, the behavior should be verified.

answered on Oct 25, 2016 at 4:56pm  
If I'm completely honest - no. The only progress that has been made was due to involvement by our CEO, which resulted in an escalation to tier 3 support. We've exchanged 18 emails today and there still hasn't been resolution.

I appreciate that the team at RingCentral is actively involved in diagnosing the issue now, but it continues to be a pretty frustrating experience.

answered on Oct 25, 2016 at 11:12am  
Have any of the suggestions given been helpful Nate?

answered on Oct 25, 2016 at 8:57am  
There is a button under "General" settings that could help to activate the feature. When activated tab looks like this (see below). If it does and numbers are not added to the dial pad - it's likely a bug.

answered on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:02pm  
I tested on Mac 10.11.5, Chrome Version 53.0.2785.143 (64-bit), RingCentral 
 Release: 8.3.2.23993 (64-bit)

It works if you quit RingCentral app first before clicking the link. It doesn't work if RingCentral app is already running.

I think it's a bug. Please contact support:

answered on Oct 24, 2016 at 7:59am  
I've also tested this with Chrome/Windows and it works fine there. It seems to be limited to the Mac platform, which affects 90% of our users.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us