question

janielle2936 avatar image
janielle2936 asked benjamin-dean answered

Webphone: When I call to a directory number, I should be able to send the key signal. How can we do that with Web Phone API?

Suppose the user calls to a directory number, i.e., the one that prompts the user to press more keys to continue. The question is how we can do that with RingCentral Web Phone API.

sdk
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
Our current WebRTC implementation (Web Phone) for voice, has been developed for outbound calling use cases.

If you mean you wish to send directory number services (such as information directory number, 411) the key signals (DTMF tones), the agent/operator of the call can use the dial pad interface of your implementation to send these tones.

Is this the use case you are describing?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

janielle2936 answered
I'm sorry. As I am not a field expert, I'm not sure whether any technical terms would mean what I want to say. So, let me get started with an example.

Suppose I call 1-234-567-8901 via web phone. Once the call is connected, I was prompted to press 123 to continue. (I may be prompted to press more keys to continue during the course of call duration.)

Here are the questions.
  1. How can we use the web phone API to allow the user to press 123 to continue in this case?
  2. If we can do that, could you please tell us how to do that?
1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered
For outbound calls, this can be done by providing a dialpad UI to your agent for use.

As stated before, WebPhone is not in a state currently to support inbound calling (since the end-user is unable to authenticate and obtain a registration).
1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
Hi Benjamin,

Is it possible to use DTMF tones via the web phone? If so, where can I find an example of this?

Thanks
1 |3000

janielle2936 answered
Hi Benjamin,

I found the documentation now. Thank you for your help. :D

For the record,
http://sipjs.com/guides/send-dtmf/
https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone#dtmf
1 |3000

benjamin-dean answered
Good job locating the docs. While you were finding those docs, I created this DTMF dialpad demo branch (of my slightly outdated fork of Vyshakh Babji's 3-Legged OAuth version of WebPhone) here:  https://github.com/bdeanindy/ringcentral-web-phone/tree/dialpadWithDTMF

It is simple in its construction, and it just outputs the DTMF event to the browser's console, but should suffice as an example for you to use.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys