question

kevin-konkle7014 avatar image
kevin-konkle7014 asked ak answered

Is it possible to call Ringout from my laptop to my cell phone?

I have a Sandbox account and an ASP.Net program that places a ringout call.

In the body of the string I have "From" set to my account name, and "To" is set to my cell phone number.

When I place the call my cell phone rings with my account phone number displayed as the caller. When I answer the call I want to be able to speak into my laptop microphone and hear it on the cell phone, and speak into my cell phone and hear it in my headphones.

Instead, once I pick up the call it's as if I've dialed my work office, a number I did not provide anywhere, not in the request body and not in my settings for my ring central account, so I'm pretty baffled as to how I'm being connected to that.

Weirdly connecting to my work office phone number aside. How can I place a call from my account to a specific phone number and then talk to someone through that call?

Ultimately we want to use Ring Central in a call center app where our employees will sit at a laptop, dial a given number, and speak to the person that answers through their workstation. Is that possible?

ringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

ak avatar image
ak answered

Hi Kevin,

Did you provide the callerId parameter within the HTTP Request Body ? Well, if you do not provide, the Ringout API always references the CallerID set in the service web as below :

RingOut or as we officially call it the two-legged ringout call , as the name suggests has two legs associated to the call. The first leg would involve the caller getting an inbound call from the callee and upon which the callee would be connected.

For more detailed information on the RingOut API, I suggest you take a look at our documentation here :

On how to set the callerId parameter you can take a look at this community question asked by another developer of our's :

How to set CallerID Parameter while RingOut API

Ultimately we want to use Ring Central in a call center app where our employees will sit at a laptop, dial a given number, and speak to the person that answers through their workstation. Is that possible?

Yes. There are two ways in which you could achieve this using our Developer Platform today :

1.) RingoutAPI: As we mentioned above, you can build a Click-To-Dial CTI Integration to setup a call center kind of an application. ( You can use either the Desk Phone or the RingCentral for Desktop )

We also have a sample CTI Integration Demo app which you could take a look at here :

https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-js-cti-demo

2.) WebRTC : If you wish to make and receive Phone calls using a Browser, you can take a look at our Official WebRTC SDK here which also has a demo to get you started quickly :

https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone

If you have any questions, we'd love to hear them. You can reach out anytime by submitting a support ticket.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys