Question

Glip API, read/unread messages

• 14 January 2021
  • 2 replies

There are API endpoints to mark messages chats read and unread. The Mark Chat as Read endpoint’s description states, “Sets the specified chat status to 'Read' for the current user.”

The GetChats documentation states that a chat can have a status property, but only for ‘Team’ chats; the Team status.

As you are evidently unable to use the status property to know a chat’s read status, and there is no readStatus on a chat like there is for messages in the SMS & Fax API, how is one suppose to know when a particular chat/conversation is read or unread?

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Just check with the team. Unfortunately, there is no read/unread message attribute in Glip message.

That is very unfortunate indeed. I have witnessed this functionality in the RC Desktop application as well as the Embeddable project, so I know it's possible.

1610735210009.png

Looking closer at the Embeddable project it would appear this is being handled in localStorage by recording a datestamp of the latest post that has been read in a given chat. I'll have to build something up like that until if/when the Glip API supports it.

Thank you.