question

Cancan Gunadi avatar image
Cancan Gunadi asked Phong Vu commented

Clarification on how Ring Central API OAuth2 Authentication works

Hi @Phong Vu,

I just need to verify my understanding of how the Ring Cental API works.

Let's say I have a Premium Ring Central subscription (call it Account "A"), then I develop an application that uses the Client ID and Client Secrets from this Account "A".

My understanding is that with the OAuth2 method, I could set up my application above, to direct the user's browser to the Ring Central login page, and they can login with their own Ring Central account (let's refer to this as Account "B"). Then they can Authorize my application that is tied to Account "A" to use the RC API to send SMS on behalf of Account "B".

Is my understanding correct?

Or, does Account "B" needs to have API access too? (Does Account "B" needs to have Premium subscription also?)

If develop on other platforms that uses same OAuth2 techniques and they all behaves like I described above.

I just want to verify my understanding that RC's API also behaves the same.

Thank you for any info you can give.

oauth2
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Phong Vu commented

Clarify if you use the term "account" correctly. Do you mean two different companies with different accounts? Or do you mean two extensions users under the same company (same account)?

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Cancan Gunadi avatar image Cancan Gunadi commented ·

I mean two different companies. We're building an integration with our software where companies can let our software reply to their end users.

My understanding is that my company will need to have a Ring Central "Premium" so we can setup the Client ID and Client Secret (referring to the OAuth2 methodology) under our account (Account "A" in my scenario).

Then other companies who wants to use this service will need to have their Ring Central account (name them Account "B", "C", "D", etc) authorize our account to user the Ring Central API on their behalf.

We've done similar thing with Google API using the OAuth2 methodology. I think Ring Central API also works similarly, right?

Hope this clarifies, looking forward for your input.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Cancan Gunadi commented ·

Then simply make your app as a public app. This will enable users from different accounts to be able to login their account via your app.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys