question

mahesh-more3143 avatar image
mahesh-more3143 asked ·

Invalid client error while calling refresh token api

Hi All,

I am calling refresh token api to refresh token. But when I call, It throws error "Invalid client: ".
I am calling using node js.Below is calling function.

request.post( {            url : ringCentralUrl,
            form: {           
            refresh_token : myRefreshToken,
            grant_type : "refresh_token",
            endpoint_id: endpointId
        },
            headers:{
                "Authorization" : "Basic MyaccessToken",
                'Accept':'application/json',
                'Content-Type':'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' 
            }
        },function(err,responce, responceData) {

});

Can anyone please help me out.

----
Thanks,
Mahesh More
General Topic
1 |1500 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered ·
It probably means your appKey or appSecret is wrong.

In your code there is "MyaccessToken", how did you generate it?

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mahesh-more3143 answered ·
Hello Tyler,

MyaccessToken I have generated using RingCentral OAuth 2.0 Authentication.

Do you mean I am using wrong appKey or appSecret while generating access token ?

Thanks,
---
Regards,
Mahesh More

3 comments

Also I am able to call RingCentral Api using access token. Only I face this problem while refreshing access token.
0 Likes 0 ·
Are you using this:  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-js ?  If so, there is already 'refresh' method and you don't have to implement your own:  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-js/blob/master/src/platform/Platform.js#L375

If you still prefer to implement it yourself, Pay attention to "MyaccessToken". It should NOT be OAuth 2.0 accessToken.  Here is code sample for how to generate it:  https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-csharp/blob/master/RingCentral/Platform/Platform.cs#L178  It's C# but you can get the idea: it's not OAuth 2.0 accessToken, it's generated by appKey and appSecret directly.
0 Likes 0 ·
There are two types of tokens: the bearer token and the basic token. You are using the bearer token as the basic token that's why it doesn't work.
0 Likes 0 ·
benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered ·
Could you please provide the following:

1. Are you using the RingCentral JS SDK? If yes, which version?
2. Description of the 'endpointId' variable's assigned value
3. The complete error response with headers/body from this request

This will help in figuring out what is happening here.

mahesh-more3143 answered ·
I am not using SDK.
I have entered endpointId value which I got it with access token.

Below is the error I am facing.

{
  "error" : "invalid_client",
  "error_description" : "Authentication header value is malformed"
}

Please do let me know if you need more information.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered ·
You will need to view the documentation, because Tyler is correct, you are using the incorrect Authorization Header key:value.  https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefRefreshTokenFlow

What this means is in your example you set the "Authorization: Basic { {myAccessToken}}", but this is incorrect because you SHOULD NOT be using your "access_token" as this value, you should instead be using the result of Base64 encoding your { {appKey}}:{ {appSecret}} (which is the same value you used to obtain the 'access_token' initially).

Also, please pay special attention to the description for endpointId...
If not specified, the previously specified or auto-generated value is used by default

sahiba-singh8943 avatar image
sahiba-singh8943 answered ·
Mahesh More,have you get the solution.Have you get the solution to refresh the access token?
If yes please share code.Thanks
1 comment

If you use the official SDKs, there are refresh methods to invoke. If you tell me you programming language, I can send you some sample code.
1 Like 1 ·
Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered ·

Yes you don't need to put access_token in Authorization header. All you need to put is Base64 format of clientId and client secret as follow:

Authorization Basic <clientId:clientSecret in Base64>

Access_token are need to pass to the actual main APIs as type Bearer to get the response

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.