News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
TCR Registration Consent Forms
Tags: problem
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:01pm   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Barbara Lamar

SMS is the same thing as a text message, isn't it? We communicate with clients via text messages for their convenience. They usually initiate the text message. We never use text messages for advertising, and we do not ask our clients permission to send text messages, since th client is almost always the one who initiates the exchange via text messages. In my opinion, this whole thing is pointless, but I am willing to do it up to a point. However, I really do not want to bother all my clients with a form to give me permission to respond to their text messages. Do you have any suggestion other than to forego this means of communication?

on Mar 7, 2023 at 3:10pm   •  0 likes

Hey, @Barbara Lamar Obtaining consent is a requirement for all businesses that use SMS.

You don't have to ask your individual clients for consent but you do need to have a place where your policies around consent are noted.
Perhaps this is your website or in some form of communication.

I would review the CTIA guidelines around consent HERE on pages 12 & 13 and then submit with those guidelines in mind.

If you have questions, we're here to help. Please reach out here or shoot us an email at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

on Mar 7, 2023 at 3:34pm   •  -1 likes

Thank you, Becky. I looked at the CTIA guidelines as you suggested, and it refers to the use my business makes of SMS messages as Conversational. It also says the following: "IMPLIED CONSENT If the Consumer initiates the text message exchange and the business only responds to each Consumer with relevant information, then no verbal or written permission is expected "

It is overly burdensome for you to demand that I pay to have our website re-worked to include opt-in and opt-out language, when we have never made any use of SMS other than conversational messages.

Another thought -- today is the first time I knew about this extremely burdensome new requirement. If it is taking weeks to get the registrations approved, then it appears our ability to use SMS messages will be ended anyhow, since March 31 is less than a month away.

I am really sorry we allowed your sales person to talk us into switching to your service. I

on Mar 8, 2023 at 11:22am   •  0 likes

Barbara, Unfortunately, this is an industry shift an this will be required no matter what provider or carrier you work through.
We're happy to assist in making it less burdensome and support you with this transition.

on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:50pm   •  0 likes

Hi Becky, in line with this, as we are under the same category as Barbara - "SMS messages as Conversational", what do you suggest we actually put or type in the "How are you obtaining consent" text box of the registration? It's unusual enough that we have to put a sample message as in like "Hi, this is [company] and we are just reaching out to remind you of your scheduled installation on [date]. Please type STOP to opt out of messages at any time" since we aren't really using RingCentral for notifications or marketing related stuff. We have hundreds of contacts from our clients, suppliers, and industry partners, but we only use this for conversational purposes, like texting from a mobile phone. Do we ask for consent from everyone? I can't wrap my head around it, hope you can help.

on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:57pm   •  0 likes

@crisea For conversational SMS, consent is implied if a recipient messages you first or if the recipient tells you they wish to receive messages from you either verbally or in writing.
Again, it may feel silly, but simply providing how you might conduct these conversations is how you fill out the TCR consent piece.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us