News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Cisco ATA 192 Troubles
Tags: fax
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:37am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
Andy Anderson

Recently RC has stopped offering the normal Polycom ATA devices we use for fax machines. I was told the Cisco ATA 192 would offer the same functionality.

On multiple devices we have discovered that the internet out port on the device (labelled as "Ethernet" on the device) does not seem to function. I have spent the last week plus poking around in the online configuration utility and I cannot get this to work. I can get the device online, I can fax in and out, everything works other than the port on the device that is supposed to be used for another device to access the web will not allow a connection. I believe this has something to do with the IP address on the port being assigned to a weird value.

I am still waiting on a solution from RC Support. This has stopped all fax conversions currently so hoping that either 1) there is a solution already from someone on this board or 2) help others who are stuck with this issue.

on Sep 19, 2023 at 1:05pm   •  0 likes

Did ever have any luck? I am on hour #3 with my fourth support tech and they are still trying to get the pass through port to work.

on Sep 21, 2023 at 5:20am   •  0 likes

This is still an ongoing issue. After being asked by RingCentral to provide some in depth logs we requested RC to setup and test one of these devices in their own environment. We have a follow up meeting set for 9/22 to discuss.

I will update this post when/if I have a working solution :)

on Sep 19, 2023 at 4:47pm   •  0 likes

Andy hasn't posted about it - so tht might still be a 'no'

Have them escalate this up to a Level 3 tech or engineering - if it's their code that messing things up - they should get a unit and try it themselves, and not keep pushing it off to someone else.

on Sep 20, 2023 at 8:49am   •  0 likes

I am convinced RingCentral has no idea how to set these up. I told them my fax is also a network printer, so they sold me the ATA192 because they said it has a passthrough port.

Hour 5 and phone call #4 just happened. I had to hang up on them regrettably because I had to meet with a customer, and they wouldn't let me off the line.

I am able to get into the ATA, disable the DHCP server and set it in bridge mode, but it still doesn't work.

on Sep 20, 2023 at 10:55am   •  0 likes

Are you vlan'd? using CDP/LLDP on your switches? Have you turned off NAT in the ATA?

Wish I had one of the boxes - I could hit with a hammer to get your answers - we only have the OBIHAI's here. (302) No issues with passthrough and we've had them setup for three different telcos so far. They're setup on MFP's for fax and printing.

If you send the 192 back and pick up a 302 - I can zap over the config screen shots for RC.

Agree - if RC offers the product, they should know how it works.

on Sep 21, 2023 at 5:22am   •  0 likes

Seconded on how great the 302s were out of the box. We are looking at potentially buying some of those devices from another provider and configuring them ourselves if we can't get a resolution with the Cisco 192s soon.

on Aug 25, 2023 at 8:13am   •  0 likes

We were also given the CiscoATA 192 for fax. At one location I had to manually update the firmware on it just to get it to work. The Ethernet port doesn't work either. I am guessing this has to do with the ATA trying to do DHCP its self. It should be acting as a passthrough and it isn't and once the ATA provisons to ringcentral I can't log into the ATA anymore to play with the DHCP.

on Aug 25, 2023 at 2:04pm   •  0 likes

With the OBIHAI's as well, they didn't work out of the box - we had to put the in Bridge mode, and make them Static IP, not DHCP.
They have ** codes that a handset plugged in could reach the device IVR/menu and allow for updating when you couldn't reach the GUI.

I know not the same 'apples' - but may lead you down a path.

Found the admin doc for the handset access:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/19x/3PCC/english/admin-guide/at9x_b_ata191-192-admin-mp/at9x_b_ata191-192-admin-mp_chapter_01001.html

on Aug 25, 2023 at 3:33pm   •  0 likes

I could reach the GUI from a computer plugged into the Ethernet port and the default user name and password would work and thats how I updated the firmware. After the update and it started to work it provisioned with RC and then the default user name and password wouldn't work. Its not a big deal that I couldn't connect a computer to the Ethernet port so I didn't persue it further.

on Sep 6, 2023 at 6:37am   •  0 likes

To add context here: the Polycom OBI worked flawlessly in our environment (we currently have about 70 in use) and these are almost always used at a fax machine. We are currently looking at having to either run an additional wired connection or installing a switch along with an adapter at each fax machine. Less than ideal clearly.

on Aug 22, 2023 at 11:19am   •  0 likes

Hi Andy,

Thank you for bringing this to our community. I have thoroughly reviewed your case with our Tier 2 team and I am sorry for the delay in resolving this issue. I will personally reach out to them and request an update on progress.

on Sep 5, 2023 at 5:42am   •  0 likes

Hi Mary,

Any updates on this? I went so far as to connect one of these devices directly to my home ISP modem and still could not get the port on the back to provide internet access. I am on device #4 and still having the same issue

on Sep 5, 2023 at 12:44pm   •  0 likes

Are you able to get tot he units GUI and check its default settings - ie: Bridge mode.

on Sep 6, 2023 at 6:27am   •  0 likes

Yes. I have had 3 different physical adapters. I have modified it to Bridge mode and still nothing. I have spent at least 4 to 6 hours fiddling with settings to try to get it to work even using a physical phone handset and dialing IVR codes to modify settings. Nothing seems to work unfortunately

on Sep 6, 2023 at 3:42pm   •  0 likes

Silly bit here - but IP-wise, the ATA is getting a DHCP or static? That isn't the same static as the unit trying to pass through, right? IP conflict? VLAN issue? Without posting too much info - can you say what your IP schema is - the IP of the ATA, and with the unit trying to pass through.

on Sep 7, 2023 at 5:36am   •  0 likes

We have tried static and DHCP on the device in our corporate environment. As stated elsewhere in the thread I have even gone so far as to connect the device directly to my home ISP modem and the out port will still not work.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us