News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
High volume SMS texting billing questions
Tags: high-volume sms
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:19am   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Stephanie Doellinger

In a previous post this was shared (Calling credits and customer service - RingCentral Community Forums)

How is SMS billed?

There are 3 different buckets from where SMS is metered against, with some rules.

1. Free allotments - Based on your MVP license, you get some free allotments at account level

2. Pre paid SMS bundles - This is the SMS usage monthly bundle purchased by customer. (optional but recommended if you use decent amount of SMS per month)

3. Pay as you go(PAYG) - This is same as Purchased Calling Credits, which comes as $20 or $100 charge to your bill in case Auto charge is enabled. NOTE: This is NOT Calling credits, as Calling Credits are not used by SMS. (We understand the name may be confusing, which is something we will check to address internally)

Domestic SMS will first use free allotments. Once free allotments are depleted, then pre-paid SMS bundle (if it's there), and once bundle is depleted, it will use PAYG bucket (purchased calling credits).

I have the following questions based upon this information. I am looking at the high-volume SMS texting.

1. Can I use the free allotment each month plus a prepaid SMS bundle? And if for example we start out with 35,000 per month but find I need to increase to 50,000 per month. Is that easy to change?

2. Do unused credits carry over month to month. For example, if I bought 35,000 credits but only used 32,000. Would I then have 38,000 the next month?

3. “Only when you use all free and prepaid credits will you be charged PAYG rates for additional SMS” can you confirm what this rate is and how many credits it would cover?
on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:59am   •  1 likes

Can I use the free allotment each month plus a prepaid SMS bundle?

This article will help. Yes, that's how it works; free allotment is used first.

And if for example we start out with 35,000 per month but find I need to increase to 50,000 per month. Is that easy to change?

Let's say, if you go above 35K, and your SMS bundle and free allotment are fully used, the system will move you to overage/PAYG for the rest of the months, and usage will be deducted from Purchased Calling Credits. Customers can always upgrade to the next bundle via Admin Portal or RingCentral sales/support.

Do unused credits carry over month to month. For example, if I bought 35,000 credits but only used 32,000. Would I then have 38,000 the next month?

No unused credits (free allotment or even monthly bundles) are carried over to the next month.

Only when you use all free and prepaid credits will you be charged PAYG rates for additional SMS." can you confirm what this rate is and how many credits it would cover?

These are the rates. And there's no limit. The more customers use, the more PCC will be charged in the denomination of $20 or $100 based on account configuration. It's also explained here

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us