question

Jessica Noble avatar image
Jessica Noble asked ·

weird background noise

So when making or receiving calls I get this weird scifi background noise. I can hear the caller on the other end just fine, but they can hear the noise as well. So on a whim I unplugged my laptop from the router (so now it only had a wifi signal) and their was no noise. Has anybody ever experienced this? I'm new to ringcentral, and I've tried researching it and haven't come up with anything yet.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Hi Jessica,  

Can you please clarify how the call with the noise was being made?  Was it using the softphone on the same laptop, except with an ethernet cable instead of over wi-fi? 

5 comments Share
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

My suspicion is that if the noise disappears when on wi-fi rather than ethernet, then the cause might be EMI  (electromagnetic interference) from other wiring or devices near the ethernet cable. Take a close look at the cable for any writing and see if it's a Cat5 cable.   If it is, try replacing it with a Cat5e or Cat6 cable instead as they are designed to reduce EMI. 

Mike 
0 Likes 0 · ·
It was made on laptop with ringcentral desktop app with razor headphones. 

I have confirmed that its a Cat5 cable so I will try the other cables.

Thanks for the quick, informative response!
0 Likes 0 · ·
You're welcome. Let us know if that fixes the problem or if there's still issues after you change out the cable. 

Mike 
1 Like 1 · ·
I have cat6 cable.  I use logitech head phones and they can still hear the static noise.   I was told that the quality should be as good as the Desk Polycom/Cisco phone... :( 
0 Likes 0 · ·
Please see the QoS Topic. 
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces