question

michael-antonio avatar image
michael-antonio asked ·

Mobile app: Texts come through even when 3G turned off

I noticed a problem with iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus. When you turn off 3G on your phone and the mobile app, the Ring Central texts still come through on the phone. Any idea how to stop this? Only want the texts to come through when on wifi.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered ·
Michael,

Texts are sent through the Short Messaging Service (SMS), which utilizes the cellular voice network and not the mobile or data network. So, unfortunately what you are trying to do can't be accomplished.

Per my answer to your direct question to me in another thread, since I'm not a communications engineer, I did some research and found this to be the case in every thread I found. Here is an answer to a question from an individual who is attempting to do the same thing you are trying to accomplish...

" Your device does NOT do this through the data connection, so even though you might have mobile data turned off, or in this case, connected to wifi. It's using the Short message service center to communicate the data, this is over the voice network effectively, NOT DATA."

I hope this helps...

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kim avatar image
kim answered ·
Turn off Notifications under Settings and testing that.

2 comments Share

Kim,

I don't have an iPhone and my Android phone does not have the capability to turn off notifications in RingCentral. Having said that, I don't think that will be the answer to what Michael is looking to do.

Unless I'm misunderstanding his posts, it's not the notification of receiving texts that concerns him. He does not want to receive texts unless it is through WiFi only. From my research and my understanding of RC's SMS capabilities, unless I am incorrect SMS messages are sent through the cellular voice network and not data (WiFi/3G/4G).

If that is indeed the case, he cannot receive RingCentral SMS texts through WiFi only.

1 Like 1 · ·
Thanks Jan
1 Like 1 · ·
michael-antonio answered ·

Hi Kim,

Does that mean we have to turn off the notifications every time we don't want the texts coming through? The texts I am referring to are from extension to extension within the Company. If we turn off notifications, the issue is we don't see any of our calls coming through anymore.

When our employee who has an iphone 6 turns off cellular on her phone and on the RC app, the texts do not come through correctly, even when her notifications are still on for the RC app. The other employees with iphone 6 Plus and 6S Plus when we do the same procedure, the texts come through. Help!

7 comments Share

You are correct, so here is a feature request.  Please see this link, vote, and add your additional details to the thread. 
User hours: customize notifications settings for After Hours 
0 Likes 0 · ·
Have the employee that's having the issue do a hard reboot on her iPhone, and if that doesn't work uninstall and re-install the app. 
0 Likes 0 · ·
When you 3G is turned off, is the WiFi on? 

** If you are connected to WiFi, the SMS that is sent through the RingCentral product will be sent over WiFi. 
0 Likes 0 · ·
If you are not connected to Wifi then what is the SMS using?
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi Michael,    I think I can explain.   As Jan mentioned above a normal text message from a typical cell phone carrier, does not require wifi, or data, to be sent/ received.   However the RingCentral Mobile app requires some sort of internet connection to function. If you have both wifi and data turned off, then the mobile app won't function and you won't receive notifications (through the mobile app) .  If one or the other (or both) are turned on, the mobile app will function.

So, if your goal is to not use each individual's data plan, then turn off data, and leave wifi turned on. This will not count against the cell phone carrier's text plan if it has a limit.  However, if you are having sms notifications sent to the cell phones number by sms, then of course the system will send a text to the cell phones number, but, that can be turned off.  
Configuring a User's Notification Settings through the RingCentral mobile app

If you have SMS notifications turned on and setup to send a notification to the cell phone/carriers phone number, then  then your phone will receive a notification with both wifi and data turned off, but this message will count toward the carriers text message limit if it has one. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments

I have tested it with my own extension 824 and extension 810. Mine is not set up as that other 8050 extension. To be honest I don't have time to test everyone's extension. Using mine as an example specifically its not working.  

Concern is the notification that's coming through on your mobile phone when you leave the office and only have 3G. The notification of the text message is still coming through on the Iphone (not in the app). But it seems burdensome to be turning on the notification everytime I have wifi and then turning it off when I leave wifi signal.

1 comment Share

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mobile app: Fix RC app on iPhone 6+ and iPhone 6S+ so texts between users do not .... Currently not able to turn off texts between extensions even when wifi off and Cellular data turned off for the RC app. Works correctly on iPhone 6 but not 6+ or 6S+. Need a way to make sure RC app can make sure texts are only using wifi and none of the mobile phones data or voice or text plan. Currently engineers have no idea what their SMS texts are using. Benefit is that all mobile users won't inadvertently use the mobile phone data or voice if they don't want to! Right now you can only limit the voice calling on the RC app. The Text function should be the same!

Hi Kim,

So I am confused. Do the SMS texts from extension to extension, what does it use (wifi, mobile phone's cellular, or mobile phone's text allowance) even during business hours? The link for the other feature is not quite what we are looking for. We are trying to not use up everyone's personal cellular voice or data plan. I understand calls can be limited that way. But what is the SMS on our RC app actually using? is it not using Wifi and using the phones text allowance? or is it using Wifi?

kim avatar image
kim answered ·
What users are having this issue?
Ext. 8050 has SMS notifications turned ON for both User Hours & After Hours. 

kim avatar image
kim answered ·
There is currently an open feature request for this.  

RC-55245 Feature Request - Ability to have the IOS Mobile app not to receive any push notification if cellular data is turned off for the IOS app on IPHONE 6 plus above

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces