question

diadra-bendixen12699 avatar image
diadra-bendixen12699 asked ·

Terminating Users and Keeping Their Phone Numbers

We just had two users terminate. How can I delete their accounts without losing their numbers? I want to be able to assign their numbers to someone else in the future.
General Topic
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

lee2 avatar image
lee2 answered ·
Diadra, You can disable the account, then delete it. The number will be kept and become an unassigned  user extension.  Then you can create a new extension when you are ready and send out the invite.
11 comments

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Correct, deleting the User extension will get rid of the voicemails and call recordings - which is why we suggest backing things like that up before deletion.
1 Like 1 ·
Hey Bond007DMC,

I spoke with an Engineer and they provided me with the following information:

If an Admin logs into the online portal using the admin number then he will see an alert in the Archiver section stating that he is archiving for all users as an Admin. He would be able to enable archival for all users he manages. The only limitation now is he can only archive call recordings for his managed users

So basically, if you set it up while logged into the Super Admin extension, then you are able to set it up for the Users on your account but will only see certain information.
1 Like 1 ·
Forgot to mention, yes, it is backing up! They're going to change the wording in order to avoid this confusion soon ;)

Super Admins can monitor all Users. User Group Managers, only monitor specific people. So, I'm thinking you set it up as the former :)
1 Like 1 ·
Ok, great! Well, someone else originally set this up for us, but I do believe you are right. Ahh, user group managers - will have to check this out...
1 Like 1 ·
Lee, If the account is disabled and then deleted, will historical data/info be lost (voicemail, call recordings, call logs, etc.)? I have the issue with people coming and going and would like to reassign the same extension to the replacement employees, but it does not seem to be as simple as changing the name and email address info. I ran into seemingly cross-linked info when I tried that the first time. So, for now, because I am afraid I will lose the aforementioned info, I disable the old user, create a new extension, and then move the number of old user over to the new. Eventually I will delete the original extension/user and then reuse extension at a later time. If there is a better way that I can just rename the user, keep the old user's data, and just continue on with the new user on original extension, please enlighten me. Thanks.  
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
diadra-bendixen12699 avatar image
diadra-bendixen12699 answered ·
Seems like that worked! The numbers are now under the "Unassigned" tab. Thank you very much for your help :)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app