News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Mac OS app version
Tags: ringcentral app
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:55am   •   7 replies  •  0 likes
jordan-bliss

Hi, I'm using a Mac with Catalina 10.15 I've download the Mac desktop app v19.10.2 but I get an error message saying "RingCentral cant be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the dev...."Is there a new version in the pipeline or am I missing something?

7 Answers
answered on Jan 7, 2020 at 2:19pm  
I agree this is annoying. I shouldn't have to quarantine the Ring Central App on Mac OS. They take the time to get the app cleared by the Apple iOS App Store but cannot be bothered to get it compatible with the MAC OS App Store. Hope 2020 will get a legitimate  MAC OS App. It's not as if Mac Users still exist and 10.15 has been out for many months now.

answered on Dec 19, 2019 at 3:25pm  
This is frustrating and something RingCentral developers could fix. Until then, right-click the app from the Finder and Open (then Open again). You should only have to do this once.

answered on Nov 25, 2019 at 11:39am  
Any updates from RC on when this is going to be updated so it is fixed?

answered on Nov 14, 2019 at 2:54pm  
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable to use MacOS version of RingCentral with Catalina (10.15.1). I'm unable to launch the RingCentral Phone application on my MacOS with Catalina (10.15.1).  The MacOS says that it can not verify security and that the App needs to be updated.  Is there a work around for this?

The error message I get says, "RingCentral can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  The software needs to be update. Contact the developer for more information."

answered on Nov 11, 2019 at 1:31pm  
Sorry, but it didn't work for me.  First, at "General" there is no option to "open anyway" or otherwise.  The app still shuts down every time I try to open it.  My "workaround" is using the web-based site.  Tedious, but it works, in a way.  Still, it's very irritating that RC has not devoted the time, energy and resources to make this desktop app work.  Another flashback to the bad old days when developers treated Mac user customers like an afterthought.

answered on Nov 1, 2019 at 9:07am  
I ran into this today. As a workaround until RC can update the app to prevent this in the future do this:

1. Try and open the app, you'll be presented with the error.
2. Open System Preferences
3. Navigate to "Security and Privacy"
4. On the "General" tab, you'll see a message at the bottom about the app being blocked, click "Open Anyway"

This is what solved it for me. If you get further error messages, there's another trick to remove apps from Apple's quarantine by using the following command in the Terminal. I personally didn't have this issue with RC but I've had to do this sort of command for other apps.

RC Desktop:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Glip.app

RC Phone:
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/RingCentral\ for\ Mac.app  

Hope this helps!!

answered on Oct 31, 2019 at 11:13am  
Same here.  This is extremely disappointing -- not to mention irritating.  RC and other developers have had the tech specs for Catalina for months.  It is inexcusable that RC was not geared up for its launch.  May have to start looking for another service after all these years.  RC:  get on the stick!

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us