News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
SOLVED: RingCentral app not remembering sound source settings
Tags: ringcentral app
Jun 2, 2021 at 7:21am   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
Leah Wright

I use RingCentral on my work computer, but I do not wear my headset the entire day. I've set the audio sources up as shown in the screenshot below, but they randomly change during the day and default back to the computer sources. Is there a way to set these and have the settings hold so I'm not scrambling to send the sound back to my headphones if I get a call?

1622643250631.png

on Sep 7, 2021 at 9:32am   •  0 likes

Many users at our company have reported this same issue, some claim it happens without signing out of the app or shutting down the machine. Is there any other behavior that is acknowledged by RingCentral to cause these audio sources to change back to defaults?

Is there a way to prevent this behavior? User settings are usually persistent across restarts in most applications I've used... why is this different?

on Sep 7, 2021 at 9:48am   •  0 likes

Hi @Curtis K, please report issue in the app's Help & Support tab as well. You can also submit a case here.

on Jun 2, 2021 at 10:10am   •  0 likes

The logs have been submitted. It's very possible there was a reboot prior to the change occurring. I shut down my computer every day and it sometimes experiences issues and has to be rebooted during the day.

on Jun 2, 2021 at 11:02am   •  0 likes

Thank you. I will let our Product Team know.

on Jun 2, 2021 at 8:53am   •  0 likes

Sound settings should not change unless you sign out and back into the app or restart their machine. Our Product Team would like to collect your logs. Please go to Help & Support and click Report Issue.

screen-shot-2021-06-02-at-114929-pm.png

1 Answer
answered on Sep 13, 2021 at 8:17am  

I swapped from a wired headset to Galaxy Buds2 recently and was experiencing the same issue. Thanks to a great experience with Jann in tech support this morning, I now have a fix for this. It's below for anyone else having the same issue.

1. Connect your headset/earbuds and verify they are visible in the Speaker/Microphone options in the RingCentral app.
  2. Click the Windows search and search for Sound Settings. Click on it.
  3. At the very bottom, click on App Volume and Device Preferences.
  4. Under RingCentral, select the connected headset or earbuds as default for output and input. If it's listed more than once under either, you might have to play with settings to determine which one is correct. For the Buds2, I selected the Output option that starts with Headset and the Input option that starts with Headphones. The other selections with similar names did not work in my experience.
  5. Exit RingCentral and reopen it.

It should grab the headset/earbuds as default when it's connected and default back to the computer when not. For a wired headset that stays connected, the Ringer Source needs to be set to All Audio Sources in the RingCentral settings so it rings to both the headset and the computer. Otherwise, it may ring to only the headset when it's connected because the Windows settings tend to override the RC settings.

on Sep 13, 2021 at 8:25am   •  0 likes

Thanks for updating this, @Leah Wright.

answered on Sep 7, 2021 at 9:31am  

Many users at our company have reported this same issue, some claim it happens without signing out of the app or shutting down the machine. Is there any other behavior that is acknowledged by RingCentral to cause these audio sources to change back to defaults?

Is there a way to prevent this behavior? User settings are usually persistent across restarts in most applications I've used... why is this different?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us