Has anyone configured a Polycom Group Series 500 to send/receive VOIP calls using RingCentral?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I am setting up some new conference rooms and want to make it as easy as possible for ppl to make phone calls and video calls.  Currently, I am using Polycom IP 6000s phones (for phone calls) and Polycom Group Series 500s for video conferences.  Instead of having 2 devices in each room, I want to get rid of the IP 6000 phone and just use the Polycom GS 500 to make phone calls (just like you would on a phone by dialing a direct number not a bridge) as well as video calls.

Does anyone have experience configuring Polycom GS with Ringcentral to use it like a phone?
Photo of Grant Duval

Grant Duval

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 89,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the delay on this one. I was able to get some comment from one of our engineers.

Using room connectors there would be no provisioning here, simply a connection using H.323 and/or SIP up to 6 Mbps with the Series 500. So the 6000 can be provisioned using assisted provisioning, while the Series 500 you would dial in using SIP or H.323 to connect to the meeting. The address they would use for the connection would be in the invite and they would simply connect per meting. no provisioning is required.

I did verify it is H323 and SIP compatible.
(Edited)
Photo of Grant Duval

Grant Duval

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the response, but my question is more about making a direct call not to calling a bridge for a conference call.  For example, if I wanted to make a phone call my friend who's phone number is 555-555-5555, am I am to configure my GS to do so using RingCentral or is the only option having my friend dial into the same bridge and then we can talk?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 89,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the confusion. So, in this case,  you'll need to configure the phone as a third party device. It would use our platform for dialing not SIP/H323 connections. You can do this in the web portal. See: Provisioning a third party SIP phone