Phone shocking employee

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
V410 Polycom phone. 2nd time the employee has been shocked when she picks up the hand piece. First time I switched from POE to power from a power strip just in case. But happened again today!!?? Help?? Issue? Solutions?
Photo of ANDERSON

ANDERSON

  • 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

  • 19,550 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like static shock.  I doubt it has anything to do specifically with the phone or power source.  Some people are more prone to this than others, but things like anti static mats and humidifiers can help.  Touching something grounded before touching the phone should prevent it and prove if it is just static shock from the environment.  This can't be the first time or only thing this person has ever been shocked by in the office is it?
Photo of ANDERSON

ANDERSON

  • 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I will double check but I thought she was getting this when she put the handset to her ear not just picking up the handset in her hand.... would that matter?
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

  • 19,550 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That makes more sense actually because I don't think you can be shocked just touching plastic.  There is presumably conductive metal inside the earpiece though and moisture from the skin coming very close to it when you put the handset to your ear.    I don't claim to be an expert about static discharge, but here is a SpiceWorks thread that is pretty informative: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/291571-electrocution-by-voip
Photo of ANDERSON

ANDERSON

  • 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Do I need to replace the phone then...i.e. faulty equipment or just figure out how to reduce?
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

  • 19,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My guess is it is the environment and not the equipment, but I could be wrong..  I would talk to the user about their history with static shock to get a better understanding and then Google up some remedies for them to try first.  I suppose you could try swapping two phones at the office to rule out the phone too.